Bathroom floor question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom floor question

I am in the process of putting a bathroom in the basement with a custom shower and heated floor. I just removed some lino the previous owner had put down over the painted concrete floor. The rest of the basement has a Barricade subfloor (⅞ thick) and I'd like the hight of the finished floors to match up as close as possible. I plan on installing LVP (vinyl planks (around 3/16 to ¼) on top of the subfloor. I will be using Ditra heat and tiles and need to raise the whole floor up a bit, I figure ¼ and start from there to have a finished height around 1 ⅛". I also plan on a tile like transition piece in between the two types of floor so it does not need to be exact.

Any recommendation on how to raise the floor by ¼'', the room is about 40 sq feet. I thought of gluing down some cement board with fasteners as well...
    Cheers,

Martin
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bathroom floor question

I am going through the same problem but I am talking about 900 sq ft. There are several types of self levelling compounds available that would suitable for such a small area. I talked to one supplier that sell it and about $56 a bag and will cover 30 sq ft to 1/4 inch thick. Do a google search for self levelling compound.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I'll have look tomorrow at self levelling compound, I was under the impression it was not suitable over a painted concrete floor. I also have some PL type glue left on the floor in a couple small areas.
      Cheers,

Martin

Comment

I am not sure about the painted floor. They do suggest a primer that is rolled onto the floor prior to the levelling compound. This is to seal the concrete floor. As I said earlier I am just repeating what I have been told the last few days.

Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Electric radiant limits you to ceramic, porcelain and natural stone. LVP is out.

Not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

I can bond to paint. I can't trust the paint to bond to the concrete. Paint gets removed.

Comment

Bathroom will be ceramic tiles, rest of the basement is LVP. A tile place today showed me a primer and self levelling mortar that will work on the painted floor.
            Cheers,

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by MG View Post
              BA tile place today showed me a primer and self levelling mortar that will work on the painted floor.
              Run!!
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

I'm with Kevin. Rent or buy a cup grinder and take off the mystery paint. 1/4" really isn't much to make up in height.

Can I ask what tile dealer you're working with? I recommend Tile Master in Barrie.
                nnieman likes this.

Comment

Bonding to the paint is nothing, and doesn't require the expenses that have been recommended to you.

The issue is the paint bond to the concrete. I never trust it. Yes, I now have it easier than you, as I've invested in the gear to deal with it. Give me 250,000 sqft of epoxy to remove and I'm good to go. A 50 sqft bathroom would be my day to day stuff.

Comment

I am also with Kevin. Paint cannot be relied on as a adhesion surface on cement. Cement to cement primers can be, and I've used them in the past in proper applications. A little bit of moisture or heat can have paint just flaking away.

Last edited by Matt Matt; 05-05-2017, 11:10 PM.
                    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by rhscdn View Post
                      I'm with Kevin. Rent or buy a cup grinder and take off the mystery paint. 1/4" really isn't much to make up in height.

Can I ask what tile dealer you're working with? I recommend Tile Master in Barrie.
                      That's exactly where I went.
                      Cheers,

Martin

Comment

Paint has to be removed from cement before anything can go on top, except for a floating floor.
                        A wire brush on a grinder will make quick work of it.
                        wear a mask

Nathan

Comment

I ended up renting and angle grinder with a diamond blade on it. It made quick work of the paint, took me longer to change out the bag in the shop vac. If you ever do this make sure it has a dust shroud, the dust is unbelievable! Thanks for all the replies.
                          Matt Matt, rhscdn and like this.
                          Cheers,

Martin

Comment

Needle gun may work??
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I was happy with Tile Master. I found them less expensive than the usual strip-mall tile shops and their staff are happy to answer technical questions about their products and the best way to approach a job. One thing to keep in mind is that some of their thru-body porcelain tiles are really hard. I ended up buying some wonderful tiles for our bathroom, but they were difficult to cut without chipping unless you buy a high quality (and expensive) blade for your wet saw. Beyond their tiles, I've purchased Schluter products (Ditra and Kerdi) as well as their Kiesel products (Servolight mortar, Servoperl Royal grout and colour-matched Oka Silicon). No complaints at all.

Here's the ensuite shower I did in our previous house (just after grouting):
                              image1.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X