Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basement bathroom reno: How to deal with wall above shower stall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement bathroom reno: How to deal with wall above shower stall?

I'm working on another fix & finish what My Dad started project, this time the basement bathroom. The project started when we discovered that the tap had been left barely trickling for several weeks (long story), the overflow channel on the steel sink rusted through and the cabinet below got wet enough for stuff to grow on it. We tore out the sink & cabinet and removed the tiles from the floor, bought a new sink, faucet & cabinet and that was as far as it got because our son moved out and we never seemed to find time to work on it.

Last winter I was cleaning and the mop went through the raised floor. As soon as it was warm enough in the spring I removed the toilet, pulled up the floor and stripped the bottom half of the drywall off of the walls where it was damaged (one wall was OK) with the intention of picking up on it again when it became too cold to work on stuff outside.

Removing the wooden floor revealed that the concrete below had been patched. As soon as I saw it I remembered that they had the builder rough in the plumbing for the bathroom but when they decided later to add a kitchenette (I'll get around to that eventually) they had some sort of relative who was apprenticing in plumbing add the rough in for that and he had to open the floor.

And in the middle of that patch was a spot that was always wet. I asked a plumber if he thought it was coming from the pipes and he said all that was under there was drains and if I hadn't been using anything in that room it was doubtful they were to blame. He came back with an electric jackhammer and as soon as he touched it to the patch it crumbled. The relative had used sand mix and in one lace it was only 3mm thick over one of the pipes. He did some tests (all pipes dry and the sewage pump is perfect), opened the hole up a bit bigger and removed a bunch of the gravel so that when I filled it back in with Pre-Mix the new patch is thicker than the rest of the floor. And it has been dry as a bone since then so I have replaced the raised floor(if you guys are interested let me know and I'll post pics of the work so far).

When I stripped the old drywall the tape on the upper half pulled out. I had intended to replace the drywall I removed behind the sink & toilet with waterproof (green?) drywall but someone gave me a bunch of used laminated flooring and I sorted through and found I had enough to do the walls with it instead so all I would have to do was re-tape the top half.

While taping it occurred to me that plain painted drywall might not be the best thing for the walls above the shower stall. But I don't want to get into installing ceramic tiles so what else can I put on there that will shed water & can be scrubbed but won't cost an arm & a leg?

BTW: Dad did the basement ceilings with ceiling tiles stapled to strapping but I am planning dropped ceilings in areas I remodel. Yes, they do make moisture resistant panels suitable for use over showers.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Basement bathroom reno: How to deal with wall above shower stall?

Used Kirdi board or Wedi board in the shower the rest of the bathroom should be blue board drywall. Never use regular drywall in the bathroom. Not even on the ceiling. What are you talking about for the ceiling? Never heard of waterproof panels for that.

Are you installing a shower unit? Then yes you can use blue board for the whole thing and tape it as per usual. Blue board is mildew resistant. Also use the blue or pink 2X4's that are mold resistant and you won't have to worry about mold in there for quite a while.

As far as a drop ceiling the track system isn't rated for a shower is it? Its not galvanised at all to resist steam is it?
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Perhaps I need to explain a bit better: Dad died before he could finish the basement bathroom. The shower stall (it was a kit) is already installed (in front of ordinary drywall) but the top edges of the stall are not sealed to the wall and the ceiling is still open so we have never used the shower. If I was starting from scratch I would use water resistant wallboard but plain drywall was used this way for decades before the water resistant substitutes were invented so I am not planning to dismantle the stall to change it.

The walls of the stall are about 3mm thick and I am looking for something I can attach to the walls above the stall. Ideally it would be white plastic like the stall walls.

Re water resistant drop ceiling: Every major hardware chain carries drop ceiling panels designed for high humidity areas. Armstrong's version are guaranteed for 30 years in 100% humidity environments like above indoor pools. I expect the tracks will probably be plastic.

Comment

I would glue some vinyl trim on top of the panels to seal them. Home Hardware has an adhesive that is really good. It will hold a cement patio stone to the wall vertically 4' off the floor. Use that. its made in germany and is clear. It will stick to the trim and make the seam waterproof. If the drywall above it is solid and not water stained I would not worry too much. If its soft in anyway you might want to replace that part of it. If you use a really good primer and paint it should be ok. That way too you will not have to paint the trim or even spackle nails. Nothing to rust.

Use painters tape to hold the trim tight until the adhesive cures all the way. Shouldnt take more than an hour or so.

Comment

What about something like this? One is PVC and the other pressed hardboard with a coating on it. The pressed hardboard (Home Depot link below) I would not put where it will get direct water but would be fine above the shower in my opinion. Having said this my Mother had the tileboard in her shower for years with no ill effects.

https://www.rona.ca/en/building-supp...els/pvc-panels
          https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000678702.html
          schor likes this.
          Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

I haven’t done it, but I’ve seen the exposed drywall that is above a shower stall, covered with the 2x4 plastic fluorescent light diffusers glued up against the drywall and sealed with silicone. It looked ok and was told it was up there a long time.

Comment

I wonder how thick the waterproof ceiling tiles are? If they are just sheets of plastic a couple of them might do.... These panels look like what I need but I want to make sure so I asked and will post their reply.
              https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000673986.html

Greg, do you know what that glue is called? I'm thinking of using some PVC moulding up the outsides of the stall and maybe around the outer edges of the ceiling - just something narrow to cover the gaps because the track should be straight but drywall never is.

Comment

I just came across the site for those Genesis tiles and it says they are 4-5mm thick. It looks like I have my solution for both the ceiling and the walls above the shower. Now back to my regularly scheduled plastering

Comment

Originally posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
                  I wonder how thick the waterproof ceiling tiles are? If they are just sheets of plastic a couple of them might do.... These panels look like what I need but I want to make sure so I asked and will post their reply.
                  https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000673986.html

Greg, do you know what that glue is called? I'm thinking of using some PVC moulding up the outsides of the stall and maybe around the outer edges of the ceiling - just something narrow to cover the gaps because the track should be straight but drywall never is.

Its called XCEL here athte swanson Kitchener store on Park st its on the paint counter. It used to be on the lumber counter. I used it to glue puck board on the ceiling above a tenants shower. Stuck real good.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
                    What about something like this? One is PVC and the other pressed hardboard with a coating on it. The pressed hardboard (Home Depot link below) I would not put where it will get direct water but would be fine above the shower in my opinion. Having said this my Mother had the tileboard in her shower for years with no ill effects.

https://www.rona.ca/en/building-supp...els/pvc-panels
                    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000678702.html
                    No that press board will fall apart with in a week and turn moldy. I tried it as a test no way. Puck board is about 3 mm maybe a little less and is light. Its not really pretty but it would work well over the shower on the walls and ceilings. Home Hard ware sells it and its about $90 a sheet.

Comment

IMG_1547.JPG My parents had an old house in NS that had that tileboard in the bath/ shower stall. It was in a bathroom with no vents. After about 20 years it started to decay where it sat on the tub which I suspect was because the caulking let go. I installed a 3 piece shower kit which did not completely cover the Barker board that ran up to the ceiling. Do to a color mismatch between the Barker board and the new shower install I painted the exposed 8 inches with BM Freshstart primer and a coat of paint. 15 years later when both passed away the paint was as good as the day I ,put it on. Barker board was the name of what HD calls tile board. I am not a fan of tile board or what ever you want to call it but it it is not as bad as some would like us to believe, considering your budget I would consider it.

If budget were not an issue I could put you in contact with the personwho set the tiles in this bathroom in Ottawa for me on a basement reno I just completed. It will cost you $9400 for the tile setter alone and I supplied the tiles. It also included tiling the floor. He was worth every penny.
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

If you end up painting drywall, I would highly recommend this. I have used it and its basically bullet proof as long as your drywall base is in good stable condition.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000409177.html

Comment

I think at $17.50 for a 24x48 white solid PVC panel (with free shipping over S50) the ceiling tiles are my best bet.

HVAC ducts cover most of the room so the ceiling will have to be about 77.5" (only about 7" above the top of the stall) and the room is only 76" x 82" (it will be close to a cube when done). Having chased wires through there a number of times I want to be able to lift the panels out for access so I figure 24x24 panels will be best; The PVC tiles are supposed to be and easy to cut with a knife, the 24x48s are slightly thicker than the 24x24s and also work out a bit cheaper so if I order seven 24x48s I should have enough for the ceiling plus the walls above the stall (I'll have to work out how much track I need).

I couldn't find Xcel on Home Hardware's site so I'll have to ask the next time I'm in there.
                          Last edited by Sidecar Bob; 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM. Reason: I need seven 24x48 panels, not six or eleven. And I'll have a 24x24 and a couple of small pieces left over.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post

No that press board will fall apart with in a week and turn moldy. I tried it as a test no way. Puck board is about 3 mm maybe a little less and is light. Its not really pretty but it would work well over the shower on the walls and ceilings. Home Hard ware sells it and its about $90 a sheet.
                            Maybe you installed it wrong. I've seen it installed for 20 plus years as Brian also mentioned with no ill effect until close to the 20 yr mark. This was in a shower for a family of 5 until my father died then 4 of us until I changed it out around 20 yrs in. What were your test conditions or are you just giving an opinion based on your opinion only?
                            Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

FWIW, I do plan to put tileboard on the kitchen walls above the counters when I re-do it but I still think the PVC would be better over the shower.

Comment

Working...
                              X