Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage drain or catch basin

Hi
    I'm trying to understand how my garage drain works. I opened the grate and realized it was full of water not flowing and very dark mud. I removed all of it thinking there would be a pipe draining the water out but it only has 3 pipes quite above the bottom of the basin (see picture). I don't understand how is water supposed to flow out without a drain at the bottom, those 3 pipes to me seem like they bring water in but not out.

if I must wait until the water reaches the side pipe level before evacuating, it's quite high, I feel the standing water would be there for long. I'm also wondering if that black mud was there for a reason, if I should put it back inside...

thanks all!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Garage drain or catch basin

Typically garage drain has a pit to collect all the mud/sand/dirt and once the water (that stays on the top) reaches the pipe it drains. You are supposed to clean the pit once in a while (I do it every spring to clear all the mud/sand from winter using a vacuum). I don't know why you have 3, mine has only one pipe going to drain; maybe it is in parallel with another drain??
    Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Hi thanks for the answer, I sent some water into the two straight pipes, water is coming back out, so I guess the pipe that brings the water out must be the curved pipe, when water reaches its height. I'm still unsure whether I should keep the mud at the bottom or throw it out! (because for the water to get out, I guess it requires a minimum level at the bottom)

Comment

You have to clean it out. Do not put any mud back in. That container is to stop sand and stones from going further down the system and plugging it up. Clean it out like he does ones in the spring. Once the water gets high enough it will drain. Again this is to stop the system from getting plugged up. It looks like its never been cleaned out at all.
        https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Man, I wish I had one of those.

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I've never seen one quite like that but it is a pit drain for more than one system. It could be rain water leaders from your eavestrough or a sump pump from your basement or perhaps even your weeping tile. In other words it is a junction box or meeting place for multiple systems. It most likely has been cleaned out before or it would be plugged. The screw off top probably houses a back water valve and provides access for a drain snake. A back water valve can be a simple trap door inside the pipe that only opens one way. Pressure from the pit side will press the gate shut and pressure from inside forces it open. The idea for the pit and the pipe position is this,,,,road dirt/sand from winter sanding and car washing etc. runs into the pit with any thawing water from under your cars and on your garage floor. The heavy sand settles to the bottom of the pit and the water sits on top of the sand. When the water level reaches the discharge pipe it flows out. leaving the sand behind. If it had never been cleaned out, and depending on the age of the house the drain would probably be plugged so solid you would need a power snake or worse,,,,excavation, to clear the plug.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

That greasy black appearance its troublesome - that can't be sand and dirt. Is it grease or oil content? But, in any case get it out! Flush or vacuum as needed, then we can go from there.

I enlarged the pic and that is some pretty slimy stuff - that is not normal residue from water runoff from gutters and so forth. And the inlet is apparently ABS pipe - is that normal in your area for residential run off?

Need to get the sump (the box) cleaned out completely.
              Last edited by Woodwreck; 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM.
              Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Working...
              X