Questions on Heating with Hot water radiant heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Heating with Hot water radiant heat

I am planning on replacing my electrical baseboard heating system with a hot water radiant heat system (natural gas). My home is a 1200 SQFT bungalow. The plan is to install in my crawl space which is insulated and has a concrete floor and a clearance between the floor and the joists of 4 feet. I have a few questions on this topic I'm hoping the forum can help to answer. 1) What is the typical dimensions of the boiler? Access to the crawl space is limited by an opening of 37 x 25 inches. 2) Can I use PEX for the system or do I have to use copper? 3) What are the venting requirements? 4) What is the price difference between a boiler and forced air furnace after considering all materials (duct work etc)?

Thanks.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Questions on Heating with Hot water radiant heat

There's a lot of skill and knowledge here on this forum but I'd recommend calling HVAC wholesalers for pricing and possibly a couple of contractors.

You'll always get personal biases but you'll be hearing from actual people that are in the trenches doing it for a living.

Howard
    Last edited by Howard In Toronto; 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM.
    Brian @ Muir likes this.

Comment

I can’t add much to the ensuing conversation, but to my knowledge, copper piping is not used for the hot water circulation, but I am unsure if it’s pex or another type of plastic. You didn’t say if it was going to be laid between joist and then insulated or above floor wit self leveling vinyl. Floor still needs to be insulated to direct heat upward. As far as forced air system comparison, ductwork costs would be impacted by the location of the furnace.
      I believe the hot water in floor system would be pricier in any situation. A water radiant heat system is pretty good though.

Comment

If you are going for a heated floor pex will work well . Take a look a Viessmann boilers Some of those need zero clearance except for the front for service. However get yourself a good heating contractor and ensure he /she ( this is Canada eh!! ) does a heat loss calc to size the boiler and compare it with the Kw's of electrical heating . A lot of the HVAC guys arn't that bright and just stab at the size over sizing to be safe Don't ask how I know !! Multiple thermostatic zone valves are worthwhile look for a modulating, sealed combustion boiler with out side temperature sensor as well . You could also consider an indirect hot water tank with a extra coil to incorporate solar heating

Comment

+1 for the Viessmann boilers and indirect. Love the one installed in Dads. Quiet and efficient. Purrs like a Mercedes . Also find yourself a very good HVAC contractor.

Comment

Working...
          X