Using an Undermount sink as a drop in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an Undermount sink as a drop in

My wife saw an undermount sink at Lowes yesterday, that is exactly what she is looking for. However, it is marked as an under mount and has a flat flange all around it.
    Here is a link to a similar sink. I can't find the exact on online, but the price was much lower than this one.

https://www.lowes.ca/kitchen-sinks/b..._g2336460.html

Is it possible to use this as a drop in sink, by simply holding it in place with a bead of silicone under the flange? No clamps.

Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Using an Undermount sink as a drop in

You would have to see the flange, I've used some that would not look great as dropins, they are more concerned with the bowl face that you see and not the flange.

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
      My wife saw an undermount sink at Lowes yesterday, that is exactly what she is looking for. However, it is marked as an under mount and has a flat flange all around it.
      Here is a link to a similar sink. I can't find the exact on online, but the price was much lower than this one.

https://www.lowes.ca/kitchen-sinks/b..._g2336460.html

Is it possible to use this as a drop in sink, by simply holding it in place with a bead of silicone under the flange? No clamps.
      How about THIS one Is it only the 24" wide one she likes?

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
        You would have to see the flange, I've used some that would not look great as dropins, they are more concerned with the bowl face that you see and not the flange.

John JMK The flange actually, doesn't look bad. It just looks like a flat lip, with the same finish as the rest of the sink.

Wally in Calgary She wants a sink that is 24-25" on the inside. That one from Rona is only 20', same as what we have now.

The one we physically saw at Lowes was only $178, which is just in our budget. My concern was for attaching the sink without physical clamps, just silicone.
        Darrin

Timber Elegance
        My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post

John JMK The flange actually, doesn't look bad. It just looks like a flat lip, with the same finish as the rest of the sink.

Wally in Calgary She wants a sink that is 24-25" on the inside. That one from Rona is only 20', same as what we have now.

The one we physically saw at Lowes was only $178, which is just in our budget. My concern was for attaching the sink without physical clamps, just silicone.
          That sink (my link ) is 25 wide by 21 deep. The one you linked to was 24 x 17. I don't think it would look very good or seal to the counter all that well. You're paying an extra $13 for clamps and a seal and a place to mount the taps with the one that I showed. I see the ID is only 20"
          Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

A cabinet shop in London had a very similiar undermount sitting on top as you have suggested. It was done as a design feature and I must admit that it looked quite nice. If I hadn't seen it I would probably share the others opinions. I think silicone will hold it but I would not want a lot of build up.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I installed a similar sink in a kitchen last year using silicone and a bag of thinset in the sink overnight while the silicone set. It worked very well but check on often for the first half hour because more silicone will ooze out after the initial clean up.
              I had originally planed to epoxy a couple of cleats to the sides of the sink once in place and use 4 screws with the tip cut of to exert pressure the same way the clamps do. It turned out I didn't have to.
              Chris
              I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Many years ago I used to undermount the same style using epoxy and glued to the back of formica I would also glue block it from the under side the hard part was cleaning the glue of and getting a good finish, I have seen many bowls fall out when not glue blocked I guess the movement with hot water in the sink causes cracking, all top mount bowls leak eventually (someone show me one that hasn't) around the joint it seems to me there is not enough lip under some of them, I don't see silicon sticking to S/S very well water will always find the weak spot.
                My answer at home now is S/S welded to S/S its been 3 years now and like new,the last house was S/S welded to S/S and was good after 25 years when we sold.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think we'll give this a try.
                  Darrin

Timber Elegance
                  My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                    A cabinet shop in London had a very similiar undermount sitting on top as you have suggested. It was done as a design feature and I must admit that it looked quite nice. If I hadn't seen it I would probably share the others opinions. I think silicone will hold it but I would not want a lot of build up.

Brian
                    Brian I can see it working quite nice with a good lip. But here's how the conservation probably went in the cabinet shop " you idiot, you ordered the wrong sink again. That's the only one that wasn't backorder Boss. Awe now let me think......yah we just mount it like a regular drop in and call it a design feature. Yah Yah thats what we'll do, good idea Boss." Sorry couldn't help it.

Comment

I have used a drop-in one as an under-mount a few times, the typicall issue with using an undermount sink for a drop-in application is the sharp corners of the flange might not be eased off.
                      All our under-mount sinks as bathroom vanities are just held up with silicone.
                      Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post

Brian I can see it working quite nice with a good lip. But here's how the conservation probably went in the cabinet shop " you idiot, you ordered the wrong sink again. That's the only one that wasn't backorder Boss. Awe now let me think......yah we just mount it like a regular drop in and call it a design feature. Yah Yah thats what we'll do, good idea Boss." Sorry couldn't help it.
                        Err, yup, post #7. So you were there listening, weren't you?
                        Chris
                        I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

On my solid surface installs I use 100% silicon to attach the s/s sinks as an undermount. I always put a support across the bottom of the sinks to the sides. I am told it is not necessary but cheap insurance. It is also a good idea to wipe the sink with a menthol hydrate to ensure there are no oils on the s/s, damhikt.

Brian
                          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
                          X