Clicking Thermostats - Driving me mental

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking Thermostats - Driving me mental

Needed to replace an old programmable thermostat in our bedroom. Bought a new Honeywell. Every time it calls for heat CLICK! Loud enough to disturb if you are just drifting off to sleep or early in the morning when we are not in a deep sleep. Very annoying. The old stat was dead silent. I wonder what type of switching mechanism the old one had? Electronic? It surely is not a relay, which is obviously how the new ones work. I considered wireless head unit to a controller mounted in the furnace room, but my wife has a thing about adding extra wireless signals in the house (don't get me started). Anyone know of a system where the thermostat sensor is remote, the switching unit is near the furnace, and the connection is done via the existing wiring?
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Clicking Thermostats - Driving me mental

I hear you. Our old house had an old electronic that was silent but the new fancy one (with colored touch screen) in our master bedroom is surely annoying!
    Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
      Needed to replace an old programmable thermostat in our bedroom. Bought a new Honeywell. Every time it calls for heat CLICK! Loud enough to disturb if you are just drifting off to sleep or early in the morning when we are not in a deep sleep. Very annoying. The old stat was dead silent. I wonder what type of switching mechanism the old one had? Electronic? It surely is not a relay, which is obviously how the new ones work. I considered wireless head unit to a controller mounted in the furnace room, but my wife has a thing about adding extra wireless signals in the house (don't get me started). Anyone know of a system where the thermostat sensor is remote, the switching unit is near the furnace, and the connection is done via the existing wiring?
      Move it to the other side of the wall -- hallway ??

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Move it to the other side of the wall -- hallway ??
        Thought about that. Plan B.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

The old one was probably a mercury switch?

Comment

Go Bluetooth, sensors and controls can be wherever you want them, wiring is not required.
            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Randy, have you thought maybe you're just too tense and as a result a little too sensitive to what may be a non-real life little nuisance?

Don't take offence by that statement, but I know I can get peevish/irratable with what are really inconsequential things that are like that that don't bother anybody else but me when I'm feeling the pressures of life at times.
              Kevin

Comment

Honeywell have one that MIGHT work. The sensor can be in the room and the control elsewhere. Wired. C7189R1004. Around $50 Good luck. I find that when there are annoyances like yours I tend to listen to them and that makes them more annoying, NO, no one ever accused me of being "normal" Good luck

Comment

Randy -- I put THIS one in a few months ago and have never heard anything from it. It is in the hall though and when ever I change it there is only a very low click. I don't know if that's the same as yours but it wouldn't bother me if it was in the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                    Randy, have you thought maybe you're just too tense and as a result a little too sensitive to what may be a non-real life little nuisance?

Don't take offence by that statement, but I know I can get peevish/irratable with what are really inconsequential things that are like that that don't bother anybody else but me when I'm feeling the pressures of life at times.

Tense? TENSE?! Who you calling TENSE! I AM NOT TENSE! Not at all!! I am as stable as they come. I am as stable as Trump (though sadly not a genius like he is).

Seriously though, I am not alone on this. Lots of complaints online in various forums and such. Admittedly we are both light sleepers, but it is what it is. Can't just decide to ignore it and sleep better. Part of the problem is that our bedroom is very very quiet, and any intermittent and sharp noises are very salient.

Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                      Randy -- I put THIS one in a few months ago and have never heard anything from it. It is in the hall though and when ever I change it there is only a very low click. I don't know if that's the same as yours but it wouldn't bother me if it was in the bedroom.
                      Tried that one. CLICK. We have a similar one in our downstairs hallway and don't notice it clicking because of the busy and noisy environment there. The bedroom is very silent.
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                        Part of the problem is that our bedroom is very very quiet, and any intermittent and sharp noises are very salient.
                        That should not be difficult to amend.

Comment

Honeywell have full function thermostats that are not wireless and use just 2 wires from the thermostat to a control module that mounts at the furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                            Honeywell have full function thermostats that are not wireless and use just 2 wires from the thermostat to a control module that mounts at the furnace.
                            Do you know what model number it is? This would be ideal.
                            Cheers
                            Randy

Comment

Hi Randy, get one that uses remote sensing, locate the sensor in the bedroom.

They use an RTD, only 2 conductors required...............Rod.
                              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                              X