Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

I'm on my first big kitchen cabinet job for clients and I'd like to know what you veterans are using for primer over VC ply. I can't spray so it has to be roll on or hand brush and the project has a decent budget so I don't mind paying for the good stuff. Would prefer lower VOC/Water based if possible, but not essential.

Thank you,

Brent
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

Originally posted by timberframe View Post
    I'm on my first big kitchen cabinet job for clients and I'd like to know what you veterans are using for primer over VC ply. I can't spray so it has to be roll on or hand brush and the project has a decent budget so I don't mind paying for the good stuff. Would prefer lower VOC/Water based if possible, but not essential.

Thank you,

Brent
    I really like this one for any primer job.

Comment

Thank you,

Brent
      Floetrol's your buddy for the topcoat Brent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

I really like this one for any primer job.
        Well that's good to know. I've used that lots for regular/personal use projects and I can't say as I've been terribly disappointed with it, but I just assumed I didn't know what I was missing and there was some pro product that would open my eyes! That's available just down the road which is sweet. Thanks Wally.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Floetrol's your buddy for the topcoat Brent.
          I had heard about this product before but forgot about it, thanks. Also available just down the road so great, thanks!

Comment

I would look into XIM primers. Great product to work with, powders up really nicely and sticks.
            Mark
            www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Well that's good to know. I've used that lots for regular/personal use projects and I can't say as I've been terribly disappointed with it, but I just assumed I didn't know what I was missing and there was some pro product that would open my eyes! That's available just down the road which is sweet. Thanks Wally.

B
              I know there is better products out there Brent -- but I've never had the need for them lately. I used to use a real good Plastic primer from General but I don't think they have it any more and it isn't water based. Maybe check with Mark with the one he suggested if you want a real top quality finish. Also check with Paul O in Paris and see what he recommends.

Comment

I don't mind experimenting a little bit and reporting back actually. Might be fun actually. I'll wait and see if
                Paul O in Paris has any thoughts as well,

Brent

Comment

Brent, afraid I can't be much help as I spray everything.
                  I do like the ML Campbell waterbased primer (for pigmented waterbased topcoats) but any primer from a reputable finish company should work, although I have never brushed or rolled it on.
                  What are you topcoating with? IMO it is best to stick with a product that is from the same family of finishes, but I'm rather fussy (maybe anal?) about my finish schedules.
                  I think it is also a good idea to tint the primer to match the topcoat if any colour other than white is being applied.
                  Not much help for you, but I don't have any relevant experience to call on.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                    Brent, afraid I can't be much help as I spray everything.
                    I do like the ML Campbell waterbased primer (for pigmented waterbased topcoats) but any primer from a reputable finish company should work, although I have never brushed or rolled it on.
                    What are you topcoating with? IMO it is best to stick with a product that is from the same family of finishes, but I'm rather fussy about my finish schedules.
                    I think it is also a good idea to tint the primer to match the topcoat if any colour other than white is being applied.
                    Not much help for you, but I don't have any relevant experience to call on.

Paul
                    That's all good stuff, thanks Paul.

I'm hearing that one of the biggest differences between them all is how well they sand. The grain will be raised with anything waterborne (at least as I understand it!) so you'll have to sand it and they don't all sand super well. Is that your experience as well?

B

Comment

If you get a good quality primer from one of the higher end manufacturer's I think they will all sand pretty well. Just don't rush it as they take a while to dry when applied in thick coats and can ball up, scratch, streak and generally ruin your day if you don't wait long enough.
                      I have never really had a grain raise problem with any waterbased primer. I usually apply a thin coat, scuff back hard when dry, then apply a full coat and lightly scuff that back before topcoat. The first application/sanding helps even out some surface irregularities.The second coat gives a good base for the topcoat to stick to.
                      What's the veneer? Some wood species are more prone to grain raise than others. If you're worried about it then mist on some distilled water and scuff back when dry, get rid of the dust and apply primer. I think if you are rolling or brushing you'll have a thick enough coat to smother any grain raise anyway, but that's more speculation than an observation lol And it's a primer, so it will be hidden by subsequent coats anyway.

Paul
                      Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 01-26-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                        If you get a good quality primer from one of the higher end manufacturer's I think they will all sand pretty well. Just don't rush it as they take a while to dry when applied in thick coats and can ball up, scratch, streak and generally ruin your day if you don't wait long enough.
                        I have never really had a grain raise problem with any waterbased primer. I usually apply a thin coat, scuff back hard when dry, then apply a full coat and lightly scuff that back before topcoat. The first application/sanding helps even out some surface irregularities.The second coat gives a good base for the topcoat to stick to.
                        What's the veneer? Some wood species are more prone to grain raise than others. If you're worried about it then mist on some distilled water and scuff back when dry, get rid of the dust and apply primer. I think if you are rolling or brushing you'll have a thick enough coat to smother any grain raise anyway, but that's more speculation than an observation lol And it's a primer, so it will be hidden by subsequent coats anyway.

Paul
                        OK cool, good pointers thanks. I've used the trick for "pre-raising" the grain and sanding off before with furniture projects and guess it makes sense that the same idea can be used here. It's birch ply, 2s2, not baltic birch.

I'm picking up a couple of different ones to try and I'll report back with my experience!

B

Comment

Brent the one I use for real tough applications Is STIX by INSL-X at Benny Moore stores. You can put it on over finished woodwork and even kitchen cabinets and then apply a topcoat. Do a google search for associated videos. I think you will be impressed. I put it over old varnish and shellac etc with tremendous results.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            Brent the one I use for real tough applications Is STIX by INSL-X at Benny Moore stores. You can put it on over finished woodwork and even kitchen cabinets and then apply a topcoat. Do a google search for associated videos. I think you will be impressed. I put it over old varnish and shellac etc with tremendous results.
                            Excellent, a friend off-line who's a veteran at this stuff suggested that as well so that's two votes for that, thanks Rusty.

Comment

Brent, you never said what your final coats are. Paint or lacquer? IMO it makes a big difference to what primer you use.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X