Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16

    Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

    Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
    Brent, you never said what your final coats are. Paint or lacquer? IMO it makes a big difference to what primer you use.

    Paul
    Sorry for the delay, took a while getting all that sorted out. They are going with Ben Moore Advance so in the end I ended up getting a can of the STIX product suggested by Rusty as well as another VERY experienced friend I've been talking to offline. I've only put a bit on so far and it hides a bit better than 123, but sands a million times better. I'm finding in these dry conditions though that you have to finish doing your brush strokes over an area in a real hurry.....don't take your time cuz it wants to tack up in a hurry.

    Thanks all,

    B
    nnieman likes this.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

    http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

    Comment

    • Thread Continues Below...

    • #17

      Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

      Have heard great things about the BM Advance. From what a BM dealer tells me it also sprays well. Not sure what they use for spray equipment.

      Brian
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

      Comment


      • #18

        Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

        Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
        Have heard great things about the BM Advance. From what a BM dealer tells me it also sprays well. Not sure what they use for spray equipment.

        Brian
        Good to hear, thanks.

        B
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

        http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

        Comment


        • #19

          Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

          Brian its house paint and I've read various issues with regards to spraying, mostly problematic. From what I gather it either takes a good 4+stage turbine or AAA. Its thick and dries like typical house paint with no stacking or it sticks to itself. If you get a chance read the Technical Sheets on it.

          Comment


          • #20

            Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

            Airless with the right needle Brian.
            "Do it Right!"

            Comment


            • #21

              Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

              Definitely airless if spraying BM advance. I find brushing most modern wb paints to be difficult. They dry quick and don't flatten like the old oils. If you roll or brush it on thick, I have found it can orange peel quite badly if the temp/humidity isn't quite right. Likewise, cure time can be slow and durability suspect if the temp/humidity isn't quite right.
              Last edited by rhscdn; 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM.
              nnieman likes this.
              ---
              Randy

              Comment

              • Thread Continues Below...

              • #22

                Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                I knew it was house paint , in their showroom they have a large panel that they rolled on and when I asked about the paint it was then she said it was Advance. I realize you don't get any detail rolling but it looked great for a panel, nice and smooth. I
                was thinking airless but knowing the characteristics of the paint I was not sure. I have used airless in the past on siding and it worked out great as I was spraying outside. An airless with cabinets is well beyond my skill set.

                Brian
                If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

                Comment


                • #23

                  Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                  Brian I'm going to offer disagreement with you. I have a friend who does nothing but custom built ins for library panel rooms and units beside F/p's etc. and he sprays with nothing but airless on site in people's family rooms. You can spray a fan pattern that's 2 feet wide or one thats 6 to 10 inches wide with the right tip and dialled down pressure. I absolutely know with your experience you could do it. We did all the built ins in a finished house worth over a million 2 weeks ago with the kitchen cabinets uncovered 20 feet away and we were spraying basic white and the cabs were Espresso. Originally it scared the hell outa me, but we spray everything from doors to baseboards and everything in between.
                  "Do it Right!"

                  Comment


                  • #24

                    Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                    I've brushed on Advance a couple of times now on built-in cabinets. I miss their old melamine paint, but Advance is a good product. I found that brushing (corona vegas, I think) produced better results than rolling with either a 4" foam or mohair roller. You have to put it on pretty thick, though, to get the strokes to level out. Tough to get a great finish on face frames, etc, but the doors and horizontal surfaces turn out great. Drying time is a bit of a pain.

                    I have another couple of large-ish jobs coming up, and I'm thinking it's time to invest in spray equipment, and I'm leaning toward airless. Wondering if you have any recommendations or guidance Rusty? A budget of 2-3000 probably makes sense for me, if that helps. (sorry for derailing).

                    Tim

                    Comment


                    • #25

                      Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                      Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                      Brian its house paint and I've read various issues with regards to spraying, mostly problematic. From what I gather it either takes a good 4+stage turbine or AAA. Its thick and dries like typical house paint with no stacking or it sticks to itself. If you get a chance read the Technical Sheets on it.
                      Newbie question here: What do you mean when you say "house paint". It sounds like you're not fond of it, but I may be misreading you.
                      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                      http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                      Comment


                      • #26

                        Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                        As far as brushing/rolling BM advance, I encourage you to prep a few pieces of wood/mdf, prime them with your preferred primer and then roll/brush it a few times. Practice rolling horizontal and vertical if that is what the job requires (it can sag, badly). Also try sanding it back after a coat or two. As you'd expect, it is terrible to sand when it doesn't cure. Be realistic about its drying time given your working temp/humidity and keep a wet edge.

                        I have managed to spray it well. As Rusty said, you need the right tip for what you are spraying, a mil gauge to get the right coat thickness and some practice.
                        ---
                        Randy

                        Comment

                        • Thread Continues Below...

                        • #27

                          Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                          Originally posted by rhscdn View Post
                          As far as brushing/rolling BM advance, I encourage you to prep a few pieces of wood/mdf, prime them with your preferred primer and then roll/brush it a few times. Practice rolling horizontal and vertical if that is what the job requires (it can sag, badly). Also try sanding it back after a coat or two. As you'd expect, it is terrible to sand when it doesn't cure. Be realistic about its drying time given your working temp/humidity and keep a wet edge.

                          I have managed to spray it well. As Rusty said, you need the right tip for what you are spraying, a mil gauge to get the right coat thickness and some practice.
                          Excellent, thank you!
                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                          http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                          Comment


                          • #28

                            Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                            Originally posted by Tim W C View Post
                            I've brushed on Advance a couple of times now on built-in cabinets. I miss their old melamine paint, but Advance is a good product. I found that brushing (corona vegas, I think) produced better results than rolling with either a 4" foam or mohair roller. You have to put it on pretty thick, though, to get the strokes to level out. Tough to get a great finish on face frames, etc, but the doors and horizontal surfaces turn out great. Drying time is a bit of a pain.

                            I have another couple of large-ish jobs coming up, and I'm thinking it's time to invest in spray equipment, and I'm leaning toward airless. Wondering if you have any recommendations or guidance Rusty? A budget of 2-3000 probably makes sense for me, if that helps. (sorry for derailing).

                            Tim
                            i spray my cabinets with a Kremlin10-14 air assist. They have an excellent transfer rate and are easy to use. I am leaving this weekend on holidays but when I get back you are welcome to come out and take it for a drive. I have lots of partial cans of lacquer you could practice with. There is an air assist system recently listed on this forum that is also a good system.

                            Brian

                            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

                            Comment


                            • #29

                              Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                              Thanks, Brian. That sounds great. I'll send you a pm.
                              Tim

                              Comment


                              • #30

                                Re: Recommendations for brush/roll-on Kitchen Cabinet primer

                                Just a note. I did not recommend advance. I recommended Stix. Way easier to use IMHO!

                                For an airless system we have 3. Two Graco's and one Lemmer. The Lemmer is the best of the 3. The Graco's are good systems but break down too much for my liking. When I bought the Lemmer 10 years ago it was around a $1,000.00. The Graco's about $600.00. The Lemmer has never broken down. My unit is a DC2000.
                                Last edited by Rusty; 02-06-2018, 09:40 PM.
                                "Do it Right!"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X