Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options for re-doing raised basement floor - anyone tried painting a floor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for re-doing raised basement floor - anyone tried painting a floor?

20+ years ago my Dad finished the basement floor by building raised floors (sheathing plywood over 2x2s) in each room, then levelling it with a plaster based floor levelling compound and laying self stick tiles. The tiles have been lifting in heavy wear areas (particularly under chairs with casters and i the hallway) for a long time but recently I noticed that there are loose tiles everywhere. I thought it was from moisture or maybe years of the plywood flexing a bit whenever anyone walked on it but when I tried to use a piece of left over tile to shim something recently I discovered that the adhesive is just not sticky anymore. Even though it was still stuck to the original backing paper, when I pulled the paper off the tile was not even sticky enough to stick to another freshly peeled tile, let alone to the floor.

Properly re-tiling the entire 2000 sq. ft. basement or even laying rolled vinyl sounds like a lot of work, not to mention the expense. We do NOT want carpet and that much laminated flooring would be well beyond our budget.

I have been wondering if there is any easier & less expensive way to re-do the floor like maybe something that can be applied with a paint roller? I know there is stuff designed for painting onto concrete that (according to the ads anyway) will hold up on garage floors and on porches & stairs and I know there is stuff for painting outdoor wooden decks but is there anything suitable for indoor use that looks decent and holds up well?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Options for re-doing raised basement floor - anyone tried painting a floor?

You can paint the concrete for sure but I know of nothing that will go over glue or tile. If you can get to the plywood and clean it off so there is no residue of filler or glue you could paint it. Laying Lino ain't that tough but seams can be an issue if you've never done it.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Like Rusty says, the problem is nothing (that I know of) will stick to the old adhesive.

You could install a floating floor, like vinyl planks.
      They have some that loook like wood grain or tile.

Nathan

Comment

Yeah, the tiles seem to come loose without leaving much residue so removing the old ones shouldn't be too hard. Removing the levelling compound on the other hand....

I've seen those vinyl planks and I might consider them upstairs but this is the basement and as we get older we spend less time down there (although that might change after my wife retires). If it comes down to rolled vinyl or tiles I think I would go with the rolled; I'm really happy with the way the bathroom floor came out but doing the whole basement would cost a lot so if there's a cheaper option that will last a while...

Reducing the time I spend on my knees is important too. For the last 20 years or so my arthritis has been bad enough that if I spend any amount of time kneeling I pay for it the next day (I've been kneeling a lot doing the basement bathroom and even using good knee pads they ache pretty constantly these days) so applying a coating with a long handled roller instead of crawling around on the floor has a lot of appeal.

Comment

2000 feet of anything is going to be pricey and IMHO you could devalue the house by doing it wrong. Is ripping it all out and painting the concrete an option?
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

That would be a lot of work. He framed the walls, built the floors within them and drywalled & panelled from the floor up so it would involve finding some way to fill the space between the baseboard and the concrete everywhere. Besides, I like that the basement floors aren't as cold as the concrete would be.

I can't see that having a nice, smooth floor that is all the same colour would be worth less than a floor covered with lifting tiles.... Or a bare plywood floor....

Comment

Originally posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
              That would be a lot of work. He framed the walls, built the floors within them and drywalled & panelled from the floor up so it would involve finding some way to fill the space between the baseboard and the concrete everywhere. Besides, I like that the basement floors aren't as cold as the concrete would be.

I can't see that having a nice, smooth floor that is all the same colour would be worth less than a floor covered with lifting tiles.... Or a bare plywood floor....
              Bob I don't disagree but you're the guy who wants to change it aren't you?

Anything you do is going to be a lot of work and money. It's an eye sore as is I assume and maybe a bit of a danger to unsuspecting visitors. Fixing the baseboard is the least of your worries actually but as you put it who would want a nice smooth floor all one colour? Maybe paint it two tone> LOL
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

I wouldnít remove the wood, assuming itís in good shape.

How long are you planning on living there?

From your description I donít think paint would hold up well or look very good.
                Not including possible adhesion issues,
                paint isn't going to make leveling patches match plywood. They are going to stand out like a sore thumb & look like crap.
                Also I'm not sure what your dad used to level the floor. A cement based product will not take paint well but should hold up to foot traffic.
                Often sheetrock (or a similar drywall compound) is used, that will not hold up to foot traffic at all.

If itís just for your use go ahead and paint it but be prepared to put a new floor in before you go to sell it.

I would (i currently am!) saving my money to put a new vinyl floor in my basement.
                The 1989 carpet is rough but I canít spare the $$ to replace it. So Iím living with it for the time being & Iíll replace it when I can afford to.

Check out floor trends or whelans to get a price on vinyl sheet flooring. Both of those places will install of you need it.
                Ive got a great floor scraper with a long handle you are welcome to borrow when you want to pull up the tile.
                It was easier on the back and knees.
                I'm about halfway between omemee and cavan.

Nathan
                Last edited by nnieman; 02-13-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

In the original post, you stated there were different rooms. Start in the room that the stairs land in and do that room with whatever flooring you go with. Personally, I like the Allure type floating vinyl tile. It lays fast and easy and prices are not bad. Doesnít take a lot of preparation to get started. Lay that room up to the doorways and do other rooms as time and money permit. 2000 ft of anything is going to cost.
                  Be Curious.......About Everything

Comment

OK, I guess I should describe what I have a bit better. The house is approx. 30' x 70' with attached garage. When you come in from the garage you are on a landing with stairs up & down and at the bottom of the stairs you are in a sort of wider area at the end of the hallway that runs to your left. On your right (west) is the door to the workshop (Dad was a carpenter/cabinetmaker - my shop is in the garage and has wrenches & grease), across the hall is the door to the sewing room and there is a room that was to be for displaying my Mom's dolls &c off of that. Turn left (east) down the hall and you pass the doors for the model train room on the left (north), furnace room and bathroom (right) and at the end enter the rec room (southeast corner of the basement). In the northeast corner, currently accessed from the rec room is what was supposed to be the pool room but is currently storage (the plan is to eventually remove the wall between the train & pool rooms and build a bigger railroad).

I do not want to spend a lot of money on the floors in the workshop and train room and my wife is not fussy about the sewing room floor either as long as it is finished, and I just laid rolled vinyl in the bathroom, which leaves the rec room and doll room and again, who cares as long as it looks decent.

We are planning on living here until we are no longer capable of looking after the place. I am a fairly healthy 64 year old so that could be another 20 or 30 years. And I have other projects (like building that railroad) that are far more interesting than spending days on my knees laying floors.

I have been looking at videos about epoxy floor coatings over wood subfloors on YouTube and wanted to post one here but most of the best ones deal with effects instead of plain floors. I have to go out for some errands now but I'll try to find a good one when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
                      We are planning on living here until we are no longer capable of looking after the place. I am a fairly healthy 64 year old so that could be another 20 or 30 years. And I have other projects (like building that railroad) that are far more interesting than spending days on my knees laying floors..
                      Your long term goals are admirable and optimistic. When I was 64, that was my general thinking also. But now, nearing 73, I feel thankful that I wake up in the morning. Things within the body seem to break down more often. Picking up a piece of 2x8 sure seems to be heavier every year. 60 pound sacks of redi-mix cement, no way. My projects all have become closer to the ground types of job, with only 6 ft stepladders involved.
                      Be Curious.......About Everything

Comment

I think I found something

Comment

You should look into some of the Tech Stone products, they go on like paint and are very durable.
                          https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/CQoAAOSwmRFaXrOA/$_59.JPG
                          Jerome
                          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                          “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite,” Nelson Mandela

Comment

That's exactly the kind of thing I want. I found their website ( http://techstone.ca/home.html ) and sent them an inquiry to ask if one of their products is suitable, what the cost is and if there are fumes. I'll post their reply.

BTW: The link you posted is for a table saw on Kijiji in Kitchener.....

Comment

Bob... the Lowes flyer just received has some laminate flooring at $1.29 per sq.ft., and some click together vinyl tile at $1.99. Both indicate residential grade, and are about the lowest prices I have seen recently. Not "dirt-cheap" but an option, Roy
                              Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X