Rainbow inside my windows :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow inside my windows :(

Hi all. We purchased a 9yr old house and moved in last month. Unfortunately, we didn't notice the problem with the windows (5 in total) until after we moved in :( It's only visible in the afternoon and evening when the sun hits them. Can anyone tell me what this is and if they should still be under warranty? I googled the number inside the window but can't tell who the manufacturer is? Possibly "Novy" but I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada and I don't think we sell them here. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a few pics to help.
    Thank you,
    Carly
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rainbow inside my windows :(

Looks like something that glass cleaner would take off.

I get those types of splotches when I don't clean the windows properly.

What happens when you clean them?

Comment

It can't be cleaned off, it's "inside" the glass. On most of the windows, the formation is around the outer edge.

Comment

Ah windows problems...try updating the drivers!

Seriously though, it looks like some light diffraction is happening, which could occur if both surfaces of the glass aren't parallel (like a prism). Hard to say if it's a physical defect or some kind of installation specific thing happening.
        redlee, Filthy and carbonBased like this.
        Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

The seal has leaked and you either just leave them or replace the sealed unit. There is a chance they are still under warranty but you'll need to know the manufacturer & find the date stamped on the seal between the glass.

Comment

Novy could stand for Novatech.

It appears that those are LowE sealed units with some kind of coating. A failed coating can result in a rainbow patterns.

Sealed glass units are normally guaranteed fully for a year, pro-rated after usually up to 15 years, material only.

Comment

There is a code and date stamp on the first picture. It's hard to see but reads: 87685-14 IGMAC 06/09 Ship LE/\A Novy

Comment

Originally posted by Bill R. View Post
                The seal has leaked and you either just leave them or replace the sealed unit. There is a chance they are still under warranty but you'll need to know the manufacturer & find the date stamped on the seal between the glass.
                Not sure about the laws in your province, but here in Quebec, if you buy a house and there's a defect that wasn't mentioned by the seller before signing it's considered a hidden defect and the seller has to fix the problem. If the windows are under warranty the buyer has to exercise the warranty and it's no longer the sellers problem, but if the warranty has expired the seller is legally responsible for fixing the problem.
                Frank
                SPCHT

Comment

Chances are the seal has failed in the windows. Thermopane or double-glazed windows. We had to replace a few here but only the south facing ones. They go through more expansion-contraction cycles or something to this effect. Actually have 5 window panes ordered and slated for replacement in a few weeks. Nice part is that newer windows are designed with this the occasional failure in mind and the replacement process for panes is fairly quick and straightforward. Are these windows south facing?

Norman
                  Last edited by pirollodesign; 07-13-2018, 08:54 AM.
                  Pirollo Design

http://www.pirollodesign.com

Comment

The large window in the front of the house is facing North West. It gets a lot of sun in the late afternoon. The other windows are on two different sides of the house. I’m hoping to figure out the manufacturer and see about warranty (see first pic with number/date stamp)? I agree the sellers should have disclosed this but now that will mean a legal battle which would be a last resort.
                    I appreciate all the input!

Comment

See if Vitreries Novy Glass Ltd is still around. The company that owned 60% of them went bust in 2015.

Vitreries Novy Glass Ltd
                      415, 1ere rue
                      Shippagan, New Brunswick
                      E8S 3H9
                      (506) 336-8202

Here's the trustees report that mentions them.
                      http://www.insolvencies.deloitte.ca/...ets_100715.pdf

If you do not see any other date stamp on the windows then those are from 2009 and maybe have 1 more year under warranty. Seal failures are common with insulated glass and it looks like that is what happened to those. The low-e coatings can cause the rainbow effect when the seals break.

Sealed units will usually fail at some point. I wich they made windows that did not have sealed units but had 2 panes with a good seal but still removable so that when that seal fails you can just pull it apart, clean it, put back together again and leave it for the next 10 years.
                      Steve The Drill Sergeant
                      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Could be that the seal is gone or it's Brewster fringes. It natural occuring and not considered a defect by most manufactors. Google it get more info.

Comment

If you want to wait until cooler weather comes around, see if the sealed units fog up on the inside (between the panes of glass). If so, the seals are blown. Cheapest fix is to replace the sealed units. It looks like there is removable vinyl stops on the inside, pop those off and the sealed until will come out (will need someone on the outside to push, or use a suction cup)

Comment

Your issue relates to a manufacturers defect in the production of the thermal glass by NOVY glass. Apparently they supplied glass units to 5 different window manufacturers in eastern canada over the past 15 years or so. They are now out of business / sold. Your production date matches mine. I had all my south facing panes show the same problem.

Specifically NOVY used non UV stabilized pvc in the spacer between the glass panes. Over time sunlight caused this pvc strip to break down, yellow and undergo a chemical degredation, releasing gaseous hydrochloric acid which causes streaking and the appearance of fog.

Technically it's not a seal failure and as such not covered by most warranties (right or wrong). 2 of the window companies offer heavily discounted replacements but only if you have proof of purchase of their products. This was my case as I paid to have my house retrofitted 9 years ago.

I'm not sure you have any recourse as only the builder would know and have proof of purchase. My receipt had a warranty number hand written in the corner for Global Windows in Richibucto NB although I purchsed them from Alweather Dartmouth. I dealt directly with Global and ended up paying $1200 to have 14 panes (6 widows) replaced (Labour and taxes in).

Good luck
                            Last edited by Zubbie; 10-11-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X