Window Installation Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Installation Help

Hi everyone, I really need some help. Last year I went and ordered a custom window from my local Lowes, I thought I had done all the research right, but I don't know if they understand what I was trying to accomplish. I was wanting to install a brand new vinyl window and replace the original wood window. From my research I measured the opening, calculated the sill plate angle and with this information ordered the window. I told the person numerous times what I was doing, as I non window installer, I thought this is common practice. The window arrives and all I receive is the window itself, I was expecting to see a sill cover since the window fits in the hole perfectly but I have a huge gap where the angled sill on the outside is much lower than the bottom of the new windows sill plate. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to properly install the window and the outside all weather tight as well.

Thank you in advance.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Window Installation Help

A picture of the problem would really help.

Comment

You don't provide any specific measurements; does the window have fins or is it a block window? But, you are probably premature in worrying. A little blocking & trim might solve it nicely. A pic or two of the window in place is needed. Your post suggests the window is too small net, rather than too large. Also go to the window manuf's web site or any other mauf, as for that matter and look for some instructional drawings. Lowe's probably has some handouts.
      Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Good morning, my apologies first for not getting back, I will take some pics. I actually covered it with plastic during the winter and it has a fixed storm window still in front so I will take some good pics and try to give better details. Lowes details are very confusing and prior to my research I thought, based on Lowes literature, I was ordering a retro fit window using my old casings, as they were pristine condition. As mentioned its probably a simple install, and with no experience, a bit lost. It would be easy to just call someone up and pay to install but its not about the money, I am pretty handy and once I have a good understanding I should be able to tackle it. I'll post back on the weekend, thank you again for commenting. The window is finless and is not a block window, it fits in side the original 60 year old casement and fits snug against the inside stop, probably about 1/4 inch of space around the window, pictures will help describe. I'm sure what I will need to do is sit the window on the sill, square it up, place my shims and screw thru the window frame, then spray foam. My concern will be the window will be sitting on the angled sill plat so when I remove the out old storm window there will be a gap so probably have to either have some aluminum fitted and caulked to make the outside weather proof.

Comment

Working...
        X