Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Rusted Steel Roof?

Back in the day this was normal?

Today best input I so far have had is "it will stop rust, once you paint prepare to paint again, assume 5 year to paint again".

Comments?

What colour over rusted galvanized? Same? or stay light or...
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Painting Rusted Steel Roof?

There are definitely (industrial) paints capable of withstanding light rust and going over Galvanized. Ive seen roofs painted with DTM paints and theyve held up quite well. Over Galv, you'll likely have to prime first.

Id recommend going to a Sherwin Williams INDUSTRIAL store, not your typical house paint SW store. Theyll have what you need and can guide you to a paint system that will work.

Comment

Hello Ted, although I like to think of myself as young(turning 60 soon) I do find myself boring my daughter with back in the day stories and your roof painting question brought back some childhood memories of growing up on the farm. Today living in the city we have a steady procession of the driveway sealing contractors trying to entice you to paint your driveway.Back in the day a rag tag crew with an old 1/2 ton ,ladders hanging off every spare inch of space and dragging a trailer with the spraying equipment would go door to door and barter with the farmers to turn their barns and roofs into a Oh Wow statement. I'm sure they promoted their product as state of the art,but as I recall that every 5 years to repaint is being generous as the brown rust would be reappearing maybe 2 years later at best. I'm pretty sure that super duper metal roof paint they were promoting was actually the cheapest paint they could find and it was most likely an interior high gloss paint tinted silver to look really nice until they were out of the area, probably 2 weeks max.Fast forward to today and with the evolution of the paint industry and the internet to fact check I see no reason why you could not achieve a longer and better finished roof with today's products. Keeping in mind ,you are applying paint,sealer,epoxy or whatever you choose onto one of the harshest environments to try and protect against.Take a look at someone who has a steel roof that came from the factory painted and sealed and see what Mother Nature has did to it after a few years.That being said, it does look really nice when freshly painted, but its Canada and nothing lasts as long as they promise.Good luck,do your research and if you paint the roof that will probably lead to painting the building as a freshly painted roof will make everything around it look shabby and you might find you have inadvertently created a never ending project.
      Bill

Comment

A friend recently redid the steel roof on his industrial building. As I recall he did it in two steps, and was advised by a commercial coatings supplier (as opposed to Home Depot etc). The first step was a spray on, brush and wash off cleaner, followed by a "coating" which I won't call a "paint". The coating was intended to go on thick and stick like a new surface. It was a light coloured coating to reflect heat.

No idea what it was. If I see him again soon I'll ask, but I know it wasn't "paint". He was really pleased with the results and he's a fussy guy who generally does things correctly.

cheers

Comment

I have been pleased with CoroStop metal paint on my roof. It is probably ten years since the last coat and still looks good. I went from aluminium colour to black about 30 years ago on a hundred year old roof. It is best to paint on a sunny day when the paint drys as you roll it so you are applying a very thick layer, takes a lot of paint!
          Rob

Comment

In 2009 I had to go to Louisiana to do some repairs on our cabin in the woods.One of the projects was re-doing the old galvanized tin roof. It looks like an old barn roof. I swept it off it’s a hard bristle shop brush, put a gallon of Ospho rust inhibitor in a pump sprayer an wet it down good. A day after, I used a brush on a broom handle to spread a 5 gallon pail of white metal roof covering. It also comes in silver. I just got back here this week and it still looks good.the white has aged, but no rust showing. 9 years and running. The phosphoric acid (Ospho) probably has more to do with that than the covering.
            Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 09-01-2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
            beachburl likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X