Do I need rebar for a small slab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I need rebar for a small slab?

You don't have to use purposed rebar. Any kind of old steel pipe or fence t bar can be used. Usually you can find something appropriate if you cruise around on garbage day.

Anyways, your results look great.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by bender View Post
      You don't have to use purposed rebar. Any kind of old steel pipe or fence t bar can be used. Usually you can find something appropriate if you cruise around on garbage day.

You are never supposed to use pipe in concrete if it is in an area subject to hard frost. IIRC it is a matter of coefficient of expansion.

Comment

I got a nice 5' pry bar from a cast lintel I took out of a block wall. That was back in '87 .... I was using it today.

Comment

Thank you.

Given the intended use ... human traffic as well as the odd squirrel, chipmunk and night time roaming tomcat ... I decided not to use any rebar. The pads are 6" thick and sit on compacted gravel that drains to the gulley beside the house. For this year my next work is a pair of steps, one for each pad, leading up to the deck, to replace the temporary step that's there. Next year's project is a semi circular path to join the pads and a connecting walk from the deck to the garage. ... a little bit at a time ...

DSCF1521.JPG

DSCF1488.JPG
          Egon and Wally in Calgary like this.

Comment

Re-bar goes with engineered pours and it does have to meet specifications.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Another suggestion when pouring concrete: cure it slowly. Keep the surface wet for 2 or 3 days. This will help prevent flaking later.
              Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by guylavoie View Post
                Another suggestion when pouring concrete: cure it slowly. Keep the surface wet for 2 or 3 days. This will help prevent flaking later.
                Yes, this is good advice and something I did remember from pouring many years ago. I've been watering them down pretty steadily. I also plan to seal the surface very well.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

You are never supposed to use pipe in concrete if it is in an area subject to hard frost. IIRC it is a matter of coefficient of expansion.
                  I'm no expert on reinforcement of slabs but the claim that there's a difference between the thermal expansion of solid rods and hollow tubes is inaccurate. At least as far as I can find
                  on physics and engineering websites.

Comment

I'm no expert on reinforcement of slabs but the claim that there's a difference between the thermal expansion of solid rods and hollow tubes is inaccurate. At least as far as I can find
                    on physics and engineering websites.
                    It may have to do with water freezing or speed of cooling or something, it made perfect sense to me 30 odd years ago when I was told not to do it. hopefully a concrete expert will chime in. I have never seen hollow rebar.
                    Rob

Comment

It can be argued that steel pipe can be used as a replacement for rebar but in reality rebar is designed to bond to and work with the concrete to make the concrete and steel act as a single structure. I was able to salvage the 5' pry bar I mentioned earlier because the concrete didn't bond well to the steel. The pry bar still had the green McKay Cocker paint on it. If it was a similar diameter rebar I never would have gotten it out in one clean piece. Rebar has a ropy texture and comes from the mill dirty with scale and light rust. This rough surface helps the concrete bond with the rebar making the concrete.

Other than pipe being smooth, oily and often coated with paint I've never heard of pipe causing problems in concrete. We put pipe through concrete all the time in the form of conduit, stress cable drains and for tie rods in some forming systems with no effect on the concrete.

Comment

Working...
                      X