• Show
Clear All

Re: Flattening a backyard and disposing the fill

Thanks
    Andrew Smith

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Looks great man. Hahaha glad to hear you used a Lazer, first rule of excavating. .. never trust your eyes. Before Lazers it was survey scopes and plumb bobs! 16hrs on an open cab rattle spoon in that weather sucks not to mention wheel barrow in wet dirt to the front, cuddos!

Do you have a riding mower? Dragging a pallet around will do a lot for leveling off the soil. If not a rented rototiller will be worth it, you just need to work the top inch to be able to level and seed it. You want the top half to full inch kinda powdery so you can till the seed in easily. After seeding I just walked around my yard dragging 2 wide leaf rakes to do so.

Grass seed doesn't want to be much warmer than 23 degrees Celsius while germinating. You'll find it hard to get the soil into the manicured condition your hoping for during the time of year that's right for seed (spring time at least) but do it anyways. If it doesn't take like you hoped just reseed at the appropriate time in the fall.

I was late in the season getting my grass seed in and just reseed ed in the fall, I sprinkled garden topsoil over to cover the seed. My grass took so well it was mowable in a week! But we got a lot of rainstorms here last fall so I still have bare patches at the higher end but I have 6ft of fall in my back yard in that photo.

Good work bet the kids love the rink.

Comment

Do you have a riding mower? Dragging a pallet around will do a lot for leveling off the soil. If not a rented rototiller will be worth it, you just need to work the top inch to be able to level and seed it. You want the top half to full inch kinda powdery so you can till the seed in easily. After seeding I just walked around my yard dragging 2 wide leaf rakes to do so.
        I was thinking to be a little more anal with the leveling and spend a few days there with a shovel, which I couldn't do after the excavation because the soil was literally frozen.

I don't have a riding mower, but thanks for the rototiller suggestion - I might use that, depending on how much my shovel leveling will get done already.

I'll probably finish the leveling as soon as the ground thaws and dries (it never dries in the winter even when it's warm) and put the seed in as soon as it looks like winter's over for sure.

Hopefully the birds won't eat it all I was originally going to bring in some nice topsoil to make the grass happy and leave some to cover the seeds but now I think that would be kind of dumb, since I put so much effort into removing all that old dirt

Yeah the rink is almost like a sandbox for the winter. They'll probably outgrow it pretty quickly, but given what an hour of ice costs per person - it will be worth even if it only lasts a few years.
        beachburl likes this.
        Andrew Smith

Comment

Sounds like a good plan for the lawn. Ya the birds can be annoying but I found they mostly ate the worms that came up from watering. Some people use wheat or barley as a cover seed since it sprouts and grows fast. It helps hide the seed and gives it shade. I think you'll be fine though.

Comment

Working...
          X