Install/Creation of Bedroom closet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install/Creation of Bedroom closet

So, I went a little crazy with the sawzall to start this project...but, didn't really have a plan.

Wife wants to make this a nicer closet. There isn't a support beam in the area. Want to put in some barn doors. Anyone have ability to draw up plans?

I'm more so looking for alternative or ulterior view points about how to tackle this project. What would you do?
    “Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” ― Charles Bukowski
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Install/Creation of Bedroom closet

I thought you were done !
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
      I thought you were done !
      As a male? looks great...

As a married male? ohhhh....about thaaaat...
      “Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who will probably contribute the info you really need. I tend to go into these things and "fly by the seat of the pants"
        The first thing I would do is totally clean out the closet. Then I would remove the door casing and the header above it..
        Next I would cut the studs you just uncovered at a height equal to the height of the ones the present header sit on plus the width of a 2x6. .
        Install a jack stud against the stud that is behind the wall board to the left of your saw cut.
        Make a new header (2 2x6 nailed together) that will replace the old header and extend to sit on top of the jack stud you just installed.
        Have a coffee (or other preferred drink) and stand back and look at what you have. The project will look somewhat less overwhelming and reasonable.
        Go the the building supplier and find out what is needed to support the proposed door(s)
        It looks like the ceiling on the right is sloped andthis might mean there is a header of some sort above the area you have cut out that might need to be supported by your new header. I would remove the wall board to at least the height of the present header.
        By now there probably several replies from people who really know how to do this project so --- good luck.

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to say there is no beam or load bearing structure holding up that sloped roof above the corner studs to the left of the closet jamb. Obviously we can't see the ceiling to see if the slope continues to a peak/ridge, which I very much doubt. At a minimum I would expect to see collar ties and perhaps a beam under the ties and perpendicular to the ties. If removed incorrectly your ridge could sag badly over time. As mentioned above you need to remove wallboard and since this was an old plaster and lathe house I would take it down to the ceiling to see what structure is actually there. I would also suggest that you support the ceiling/roof before you cut out anything running vertically.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

I agree with Rusty, do not cut any verticals until you know what is going on above. Take down the ceiling and the wallboard for sure.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant
            Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

...and it seemed like such a simple project...

Noel
              "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "
              John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
              X