Insulating garage ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating garage ceiling

I have a garage with vents in the ceiling that I'd like to insulate.

I could insulate between the joists but then I block off the vent.

What's the best way to insulate the garage and still keep the vented layer on top.

Do I need to construct a sub ceiling below the joists and insulate that?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Insulating garage ceiling

Have you thought about using the baffles or am I not reading your question properly?
    https://www.lowes.ca/insulation-acce..._g1199778.html
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

The vents are in the roof, not the soffit; near the peak of the slopes roof, like these:

https://www.lowes.ca/louvers-gable-v...erm=roof-vents

Its basically like what you'd see in an attic.

-Jeff

Comment

There should also be soffit vents in a properly built roof.

The vents are a system that works together to move air.

Pics might help explain a little clearer.....but short andwer is no - you shouldn't block off your roof vents.

Nathan

Comment

As Nathan said ... there should be some sort of vent to allow incoming fresh air and those are usually in the the soffit, and sometimes in the gable ends if you have gables. Otherwise, once you have found the incoming vents, all you have to do is protect them somehow to keep them - doesn't have to be fancy - then place in or blow in your insulation.

Comment

Sounds like you have no ceiling. Just open space to the underside of the roof so if that's the case, yes you need a ceiling. Without a ceiling you have no attic. The roof vents are meant to vent air from the attic space.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Sounds like you have no ceiling. Just open space to the underside of the roof so if that's the case, yes you need a ceiling. Without a ceiling you have no attic. The roof vents are meant to vent air from the attic space.
              Yup, I completely missed the possibility that it's an open roof.

Comment

Since you have no ceiling I think you should treat it as a cathedral ceiling. Google insulating cathedral ceilings and you should find a Youtube video on how to do it. The video I looked at calls for a 1" gap between the underside of the roof and the insulation batts for ventilation. ( I can't seem to save a link to the video on my touchscreen tablet or I'd add it here).

Comment

Thanks guys; this is exactly what I was looking for (yes; it's an open roof).

-Jeff

Comment

carbonBased I think terminology got us again. When you said insulate between the joists I think you meant to say insulate between the rafters. As Doug G says you can insulate a cathedral ceiling but that would cover your roof vents unless you have a vent in every rafter space and an air gap between the insulation and your vent and you would be insulating a rafter not a joist. To complicate it further you could install collar ties on the rafters below the line of your roof vents and insulate the collar ties and the portions of the rafter that are below the level if the collar ties. If you choose to do that follow Doug's air space gap suggestion on the rafter section of the roof. Clear as mud huh?
                    carbonBased likes this.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                    X