Smart Thermostats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Thermostats?

Yes, it's getting to be that time of year again, heating season is fast approaching. We're thinking of a smart thermostat but really don't know where to start. Which ones are good value for the money? Which ones to stay away from? Are they worth it?
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Smart Thermostats?

I've had an Ecobee for several years. I like the remote access but I like the insights it gives me into how and when our heating and ventilation equipment is used. Every 5 minutes, it records how long the ac, humidifier, heat and/or fan were running plus the inside and outside temp and desired indoor temp. This is stored on Ecobee's web site and they prepare reports at various levels of detail including comparing your house to other similar houses in your climate band.

Oh, and Ecobee is a Canadian company.

Is it worth it? It is for me; up to you.

Craig

Comment

another ecobee user here, and it has been worth every penny, to me.

a few years ago I did as much research as I could on this topic, and the ecobee 3 stood out as the best for our needs, hands down.

Easy programming, connectivity and usability, with a bunch of "cool" features tossed in for good measure. As Craig pointed out, the reports can be very informative and the t-stat itself learns you homes capabilities... opposed to your schedule (if you keep one)
      eg. Instead of turning on furnace @ 6am to be warm @ 645, you set the tekp you want @ 646, and it learns how long it takes to get there (uses indoor & outdoor temps to determine current needs)

it's awsome, and like Craig said, Canadian.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

I have the Nest (3rd generation), and like it quite a lot. I turned off all AI self-learning functions (prefer to set my own schedule). Its "away from home" detection works pretty well (when there is no-one home, it falls back to some pre-determined temperature setting and does not follow the schedule). I like being able to control it from my phone. I bought a remote sensor for it, which I hung in the kids' bedroom. When I set the schedule, I can choose which sensor to use: at night I use the bedroom sensor, during the day, it's the built-in sensor of the thermostat). It also has an air circulation mode, which I use at night - it would run the furnace fan for at least the specified number of minutes each hour, regardless whether it needs to turn on heating or cooling.

It looks nice and I have no complaints about it. I got it during the boxing week last year, when it was heavily discounted, plus there was a $100 rebate from Enbridge for purchasing it, so it came out at a fairly low cost. I'm sure that it has saved me money by not heating/cooling when no-one is home, but it's hard to estimate how much, and whether it has paid for itself.

Comment

I have a wired Leviton omni series thermostat that connects to our home security/automation panel. No fancy AI features or 3rd party web services which is what I prefer. I can, however, log in to my home VPN and adjust the temperature from my phone before heading home from weekends away which is nice.

As with all 'smart' or 'internet connected' devices, best that you know how to properly configure and secure them:
          https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/s...lace-1.4837963
          https://www.insecam.org/en/bycountry/CA/
          Last edited by rhscdn; 09-28-2018, 05:49 PM.
          ---
          Randy

Comment

I'm thinking that it is way more than I need or want.

iamtooler likes this.
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
              I'm thinking that it is way more than I need or want.
              if you just want wifi controls so you can adjust temps while away from home, Honeywell (and others) have just that. look much like older digital t-stats, but no bells & whitles.
              [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
              X