Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs helps with 8x10 deck

Hello there,
    I have never built a deck. I want to build a 8x10 freestanding deck with railings and 3 steps. I plan on using paving block 12x12 to rest the post. Where should I start?
    Thanks in advance for your time and help.
    Joe
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Newbie needs helps with 8x10 deck

If I remember correctly, Home Hardware used to have a deck planning handout (in hardcopy) they provide to their customers free of charge. If that's still available, it and a discussion with their contractor's department may be helpful.

All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Start with the building office where you live they will be the most help on doing it right.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

I agree with Jerome. Structures that require a foundation of some sort need to have input concerning the local environment. Even though I wouldn't, I could likely build a deck on the 12x12 paving blocks and get away with it because I'm virtually located on nothing but sand. Other people with clay soils would possibly end up with a deck that looked like a roller coaster in the spring.
        billh

Comment

Where do you start? Yes, the building office or municipality to check local bylaws and codes.
          Next, the foundation.

https://www.decks.com

This website has some good resources and should help you out.
          A 12 x 12 paver may crack if not supported by a suitable base layer of gravel, sand, etc... and use a deck block for a 4x4 post on top of the paver. Lots of way to do it.
          I saw these at home depot, and have been wanting to try them, just out of curiosity . They might work for you.
          https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...001017964.html

Comment

Originally posted by joegreen View Post
            Hello there,
            I have never built a deck. I want to build a 8x10 freestanding deck with railings and 3 steps. I plan on using paving block 12x12 to rest the post. Where should I start?
            Thanks in advance for your time and help.
            Joe
            First of all .... although the advice to contact your local municipal office is probably good, an 8x10 deck is not likely going to need a permit. You could ask your local building bylaw department for a copy of the requirements for permits, railings, etc, or you might even find them on line at your local municipality website. I would do the research "before" getting too involved with the bylaw/permit/building department so as not to attract too much attention until you are sure you need it. Typically railings aren't required unless you are 18"+ from ground to top of deck boards ... that's about three steps, so you're close ... check your local bylaw.

I did a freestanding 12'x16' covered deck last year (2017), on deck blocks, sitting on patio stones, those stones sitting on a foot of compacted gravel that was placed on clay. My deck moved less than 1/2" and then went back level over this last winter/spring.

Comment

Ask the building department if they provide "Typical Drawings," aka "Typicals." These lay out an informational hypothetical deck, whether or not a permit is required, showing all dimensions expected. E.g. from ground, spacing of posts and beams, distance from structure (house),... and all the information you will need if you decide to proceed. They undoubtably won't ask for your name, no charges for this. There probably won't be any permit but there will be some code requirements to be included if you decide to proceed.
              Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

While no permit may be required you still have to follow building code. As Woodwreck says go and talk to the building department they are actually good guys/gals who are happy to help.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Lowes has great video series on building deck. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79flY1pIKk

Comment

3 steps tells me you need to have this approved for foundation which will let you know if 12x12 paver is good enough, how much aggregate and what type will be under the paving block.

Some places like mine will allow me to build an 8x13 shed without a permit and they never defined if it needed to be on the ground or not.
                    Steve The Drill Sergeant
                    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Hey Joe green, you might even be able to find if a permit is needed or not on your county's website. If your gonna do your foundation on just pavers then build the frame extra sturdy. Not sure what your soil is like but I say dig down and put in posts. I do excavation though so of course I'd say that. My friends shed sits on 6×6's which lay on pavers, keeps the structure from twisting if it settles or heaves. And when it does we just shim it.

Comment

Working...
                      X