Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Design for limited space

Hi all

Will be building melamine frameless cabinets in the near future.

Hit a bit of a snag on the design phase.

Working around fridge, window, dishwasher, and corner. I think both the dishwasher and the length from window to wall limits the options of 45° corner cabinets.

I can leave the uppers with the same, but access the back corner is then somewhat limited.

The dishwasher is also currently a barrier to the bottom corner cabinet access.

Any suggestions are appreciated. 20181005_105602.jpg20181005_105602.jpg

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cabinet Design for limited space

Move the dishwasher to the left side of the sink or move it to be right beside the fridge? Either of those moves might free up a corner.

Comment

Please show the rest of the wall left of the sink so I can give you some options.

Comment

Thanks 20181005_121204.jpg

Comment

OK -- If it was mine I would make the sink cabinet a little smaller and the same with the cab left of the stove and put the DW left of the sink. Then you could put in a 36" corner cab that has a lot of easy access for storage of larger things. Beside that towards the fridge you could have a wider full bank of drawers. If you send me some measurements of the room from stove end to fridge end I could advise further. Add the window measure too.

Comment

Here's one I did that has all the parts but in different places.

Alder.jpg
            beachburl likes this.

Comment

One possibility. Google Lemans 2 corner unit. Might be more than what you want to spend but makes use of a problem corner.

CW.jpg

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...system/1052837

Comment

Here's how I build my base corners. They are 36" x 36" with a set back adj. shelf which provides good access to the lower one. It gets a double 11.5" door that folds as seen in my kitchen pic above.

CB.jpg

If you are going to keep the upper valance in the corner then I would do the same type of cabinet as the base. If not then I would do an angle like in my pic.

C1.jpg

Comment

Is there a hallway to the right of the fridge? I would look into the reality of moving the oven before moving the dishwasher. Hood, 220V plug... All relatively easy, but it will add cost for sure. DW is an easy plug move, and a tiny bit of plumbing.

When you say 45deg cabinet do you mean the ones that use the specialty blum drawers or are you thinking of a typical corner unit that might have a lazy susan? The option using the blum drawers at 45deg angle are not overly efficient space wise as you still end up with dead spaces. There are lots of very efficient corner units for hidden corners like John mentioned. I would move the DW like John shows. It seems like a nuisance to load/unload how it is and it will be a bit better 12" away from the corner (well maybe).

Time to get out a piece of paper and a pencil. Take some detailed measurements of the space. Draw a basic plan without any cabinets, make a few copies and then start sketching options.
                  Last edited by Brad805; 10-05-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Get rid of the dish washer who needs them, that's why you have kids, seriously, as Brad805 says do some drawings, draw the floor plan to scale make cutouts of the essential items you need to scale and like a jigsaw try them in different positions, or draw some lines on the floor and give it lots of thoughts, those internal corners are always difficult and those lazy susans waste even more space just imagine a round in a square and those waste corners then you put a round item in a round and more waste space, what is on the other side of the kitchen? can you move the fridge? Looks to me like the kitchen was well thought out but the dish washer was extra. What ever you do remember the dishwasher creates steam / leak that can do damage to the cabinets around them. I don't have one.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips!

I have a floor plan sketched out and I'll post it once I stop being lazy and transfer it to sketchup

Comment

OK -- here's what I was talking about -- stove only had to move 1 1/2" to the left. It's just a partial render but eh --

A.jpg

B.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X