Exterior caulk/sealer for cold weather application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior caulk/sealer for cold weather application

I'm looking for recommendations from those who work outside in colder weather as I have a couple fix ups to do next week that will require application of caulking/sealer outside. One is sealing around a skylight the other is sealing some aluminum flashing to plywood and vinyl siding.
    Which brands have you had best results from?
    Thanks
    Paul
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Exterior caulk/sealer for cold weather application

Neutral silicone caulks are popular with the contractors nowadays. There's lots of different manufacturers.

Comment

I always liked mono brand, we used it all the time back when I was working in the window industry. Not sure if the brand is any good anymore, but still use it. Try to use a paintable caulk in areas where you may want to paint. Other than that silicone is the way to go for caulk that sticks well (to things other than itself) and is flexible for outdoor conditions regarding temperature change. Only drawback is if you have to repair it, you pretty much have to remove it and redo it instead of putting a dab of something on it.
      Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

If you are sealing to the glass of the skylight, then silicone might work, depending on the other substrate. If its the frame of the skylight you are caulking to the roofing, then I definitely would not use silicone. You could use Lepage quad sealant, works well in cold weather. Applies nice and smooth, and tools easily and it's readily available at most building centers. If you have a local siding/aluminium supply retailer, go get some mulco supra expert or kop-r-lastic....top quality caulkings perfect for your applications.

Comment

Funny, just today I had to look up the minimum application temperature for DAP polyurethane, and it is above 40*F (3*C).
          https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/...esive-sealant/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
            I'm looking for recommendations from those who work outside in colder weather as I have a couple fix ups to do next week that will require application of caulking/sealer outside. One is sealing around a skylight the other is sealing some aluminum flashing to plywood and vinyl siding.
            Which brands have you had best results from?
            Thanks
            Paul
            Paul -- This is one of the best and most versatile that I use.

Comment

The trick to keeping sealants gunnable in cold weather is to keep the tubes warm until it's time to use them. If you use silicone it's excellent sealant but pay attention to cleanliness ...... even the oil on your skin can keep silicone from bonding. I use polyurethane for general sealing, Sonneborne NP-1 or Tremco Dymonic. I keep it at room temperature but it stays pretty gunnable at low temperatures even if I leave the gun in the truck overnight. If it's mainly for esthetics the colour matched stuff that the siding companies sell do a decent job. If you caulk with polyurethane it's generally going to get gross looking in a hurry as it remains sticky for months but if it's performance you're looking there not much better. Mulco is a very gunnable sealant that appears to be very forgiving to dirt and oil. I have limited experience with it and never used it in cold weather though.

Comment

There are tons of silicones and some of them will fail miserably. Already you have several opinions here so it's virtually a coin flip which doesn't help you at all Paul.

I suggest you call the companies that install whatever you're fixing and ask them. If you get a product name that keeps popping up from those companies that's the one to use.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

100% silicone

Comment

Unless there is a manufacturing defect, silicone doesn't fail. Silicone installations fail because the people using it don't understand the product and don't bother reading the instructions on how to prep and install it. "Silicone" represents a whole family of sealants ranging from pourable control joint sealant to heavy bodied architectural sealant used on inches wide expansion joints. It's not just silicone but sealants in general. No sealant will work if you use it on materials that move more than sealants can stretch or the ration of the thickness to width of the joint is beyond the recommended ratio.

The biggest problem I see in sealant failure in general is people trying to caulk the juncture of aluminum and vinyl siding with a neat "finished" bead of caulking that looks great for a year or two but cracks when the seasonal movement of the material exceeds the ability of the sealant to stretch. It's easy to make a thin little bead of caulking look good but more difficult to lay down a bead thick enough to handle movement yet still looks like it was tooled by a pro.

Second biggest is silicone failure in bathrooms where the installer didn't dust and clean properly before caulking and the silicone doesn't adhere.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.
                      I have checked out a lot of product spec sheets and there is a bewildering variety of sealants out there .
                      I will most likely get the Nuflex 313 that Wally linked to. It's a Nuco product and as they are based in Guelph, ON are about as "local" as I am going to get. I called and had a very informative conversation with a guy there. No sales pitch, just straightforward info, which pretty much matched word for word with Dave K's advice.Do you work for Nuco Dave? LOL!!
                      I know these are just numbers on a sheet of paper but this stuff claims a 50yr durability, can be applied between -29C and +50C and quotes a service range of -50C to +149C. So I think it should work for me in SW Ontario!!
                      Nuco doesn't sell direct but as I am putting together a Richelieu order I can add it to my cart.

Paul
                      Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 11-10-2018, 09:46 AM.
                      Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O in Paris View Post
                        TDo you work for Nuco Dave? LOL!!
                        No but if anyone from Nuco is listening I take Visa, MC, direct deposit ..... I'll even take stamps or empties.

Comment

I find silicone to be an all-around decent fix for most materials. I find polyurethane to be better with roofing (by Dap) and most materials. It only comes in white black grey and clear. I find polyurethane does not react with tar shingles like silicone sometimes does.
                          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Thanks Matt, interesting observation on the reaction with shingles. I have used polyurethane on leaky skylights before when replacing the seal between glass and frame where it worked a treat and fixed the problem.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X