Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of little shelf stand things made out of garbage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of little shelf stand things made out of garbage.

This might be fun for you more seasoned folks.

TL;DR: Look at my hideous shelf / stands and critique them. Let me know what what you would have done different? What i could have done better? Etc.

In the process of remodeling and face lifting my recording studio. Part of the remodel were some acoustic panels for low end frequency trapping for in the corners. After mucking about trying to figure out how to mount them in the corners i just said screw it and killed two birds with one stone and built some shelf / stands. The panel will now be fixed to the top of the stand and then my guitar amp heads will get placed in the shelving units! I'm a genius.

No clue what the heck i was doing i just kind of went at this as i worked along. I knew what height i needed them to be and how much room i'd need to house the amps as well as accommodate the weight of one of them. The rest was just a big whatever. I fully suspect that i missed some major woodworking fundamentals and that is fine. All this building stuff is all new to me so i have a lot to learn. The one thing i did learn is that i enjoyed the challenge of problem solving and planning a few steps ahead to make the end result a bit easier to chuck together. I didn't google anything to help me i just turned myself loose in the (very cold) garage and let these things happen.

They are mostly made out of some stuff that was literally just dropped in my driveway when one of my neighbors moved away. He asked me on my way to work one morning "hey do you want a few pieces of scrap wood to play with" I replied yes and when i got home that night he basically took my "yes" as an invitation to treat it as a dump. Like i am talking everything from full sheets of treated plywood to inch and half pieces of scrap dowel. WTF?

The green and yellow stuff is some weird composite 5/8 particle board that smelled like cedar when i cut it. Really pleasant smelling but i have my reservations on how well it will hold up over time. I ran out of that stuff but had just enough of some 3/4 subfloor plywood to make the sides of the second one.

They weren't entirely square and there was quite a bit play in them. not much. but just enough to make me a little uneasy for putting not cheap guitar amps on. That is why i have those odd looking back supports things in the back there. NOt real well thought out but they really helped me be able square them up and took every bit of play out of the stand. i was pleased with it. Might have laughed at it a bit when i took the photo.

My wife rolled her eyes and was very thankful they are going in my man cave and not the living room.

Have a look and let me know what i could have done better. differently. etc. They ain't pretty, but a coat of paint or something and i am sure no one will notice it's made of junk wood.

yAbu1ts.png

pi8olBw.png
    https://therecordingrebels.com/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: A couple of little shelf stand things made out of garbage.

I may have posted this in the wrong place. I think it should go under the new wood workers forums? If any admins see this and think it should be moved???

Comment

A piece of plywood screwed on the back will square it and support better than those sticks.
      WhiskeyJack77 likes this.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
        A piece of plywood screwed on the back will square it and support better than those sticks.
        That would have been perfect really. only thing is i need the airflow to pass over the tubes in the amps and the back left open for cables and power cords. . Other wise those units would essentially become toaster ovens.

I suppose though if i had some plywood i could have put it on, squared it up and and then used the jig saw to cut out some window type holes in the back. Would have been way easier in hind sight.
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

As you said, a coat or two of paint can make it look like you knew what you were doing. It's not like you are trying to sell these things. Good effort Are tube type amps still (or again) in common use?

Comment

Fortyfive angled wood blocks screwed on all the back corners along with a cross piece at the back under each shelf & the top might be a consideration.
            WhiskeyJack77 likes this.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by ofoori View Post
              As you said, a coat or two of paint can make it look like you knew what you were doing. It's not like you are trying to sell these things. Good effort Are tube type amps still (or again) in common use?
              I got them painted last night and they look less hideous lol. I just used what was left of the paint we used in the hallways upstairs haha. What a hack job eh?!

Yea they are still around for sure. Tube amps never really went away. they just have that nice kick in the guts when you get the tubes cooking that a solid state circuit doesn't have.

Also notice you are from Kentville! I spent the first 31 years (best years) of my life growing up in the valley! Between Cornwallis and Greenwood when Cornwallis closed. Some of civilians were relocated to Greenwood. I also spent a handful of years working for the Frasers stores. It opened me up to a bit of woodworking actually. Funny.

Comment

Working...
              X