Help with Wiring - are these grounded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbishara
    started a topic Help with Wiring - are these grounded?

Help with Wiring - are these grounded?

I Live in Ontario (Canada), and in a newly built home (2018). I'm removing a regular 2 way light switch and installing a smart light switch instead (TP link HS200).

The first switch is in the dining room:
    I have connected the new light switch neutral wire (white) to the already pigtailed white ones I saw in there, and black/live wires that were connected to the original switch, I marretted with the new light switch ( 20181123_102338.jpg ).
    However the Green/ground wire of the Smart Switch - the instructions say to marrette with the green wire in the box but I don't see one. Do I simply attach it to the back where the screw is (circled in red in 20181123_103301.jpg ).

There's a wire already attached to that screw and I'm unsure if it is a ground wire, and if so, can I simply loosen the screw and connect both grounds to it then tighten it?

The second smart switch is to go into a different light gang. When I opened that one, there's again no green ground wire to marrette to, but there are empty screws in the back (circled). Do I simply attach the smart switch ground to those? 20181123_094446.jpg20181123_103422.jpg )

are all metal boxes grounded in new homes? The first box - I'm unsure I think is PVC from the texture but unsure because the builder got pain all over it.

Thank you so much for your help!!
    Attached Files

• dave_k
    replied
    Wiring isn't a very forgiving hobby. The problem with soliciting electrical advise on internet forums is if the person giving you advise doesn't really know what they're talking about it's your house that burns down not theirs. Buy this book https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...Books&ikwidx=0 Everything you need to know about wiring a residence is in there including proper device grounding. I've had a copy since 1990 and it's never steered me wrong.

Leave a comment:

• petee_c
    replied
    mbishira,

how do you like the switch?

I got my 1st wifi outlet (the type you plug into the wall, to use as a timer for the light on my son's fish tank.) works great... Thinking about adding more wifi connected things to the house...

Leave a comment:

• GJW
    replied
    Ontario code allows 2 wires per ground screw.

Leave a comment:

• Joed
    replied
    Of three screws circled two of them are grounds.
    The bottom picture, the bottom screw is the cable clamp. That can not be used for ground.
    The proper ground screws have nub on either side of them. You are permitted to put a wire straight through on each side and tighten the screw. The nub keeps the wire from sliding out from under the screw.

Leave a comment:

• guylavoie
    replied
    Doug raises a good point about how ground wires are attached. Normally you never put two wires, if they're looped around the screw, under a single screw and it's very likely against code. If there is a single wire there now and no other grounding screws are available then the proper way to add a new ground wire is to remove the existing wire from the ground screw and put in a new, short piece of ground wire in its place. Then wire nut the existing ground wire and the new ground wire you want to add to that new short piece that goes to the screw. It's ok to put two wires under a screw if they're not looped, but just go straight under the screw like the one you see to the left of the one you circled. You should at least make sure both are the same gauge if you do this. It is not ok to use the cable clamp (the lower one you circled) as a grounding screw.
    Last edited by guylavoie; 11-29-2018, 06:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    I'm not an electrician but have done some wiring and I'm confident in these answers. You won't find green wires in any of your electrical boxes unless they are attached to devices like your smart switch. What you will find are bare ground wires which are attached to screws in the back of the box and/or devices like duplex outlets. The screw you circled in the second photo appears to have a bare ground wire under it. Not sure if code allows 2 wires under one ground screw so if you can find another screw attached to the same metal strap attach your wire to that. If not your only choice will be to attach your green ground wire to the screw you circled. Normally the ground wire would go under that screw and be secured by that screw and then go on to a device or be attached with a wire nut (Marret is one brand) to a pigtail from the device or devices. Looks like there is paint sprayed in the box, make sure your wire makes good contact with the metal box or the metal strip if it is a plastic box. In your last photo it looks like the screw to the left of the one you circled has a bare wire under it, if not one of the other screws in the back of the box will. Since it is a metal box you can attach your green ground wire to any of the screws in the back of the box, again make sure you get good contact with the box. If it is a plastic box (looks like a metal one to me but if not) attach the green wire to a screw in a metal strap in the back of the box that also has a screw with a bare wire under it.

Sounds complicated but basically your boxes should be grounded to your building wires and your devices should be grounded to your boxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X