Bath tub cut-out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath tub cut-out.

Does anyone have any experience with cutting out the side of a bath tub to convert it to a walk-in shower? The contractors who advertise it claim it's the best thing since running water, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually had it done and had to live with it. It looks like a fast and (relatively) cheap way to get a sort of accessible shower, but everything has a downside.

Is it a do-it-yourself project? It looks like an hour's work with an angle grinder would make the cut and the insert just drops in over a bed of sealant. Am I missing something? I know everything is more complicated than it looks. Does anyone even sell the inserts? I haven't looked for one yet, but I haven't seen them advertised either. Are they a proprietary item specially made for the companies that do the installation?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bath tub cut-out.

I cannot help with your questions but...

I gave some thought to a walk-in bath until I realized that one has to wait in the tub until it has both filled and drained; perhaps not a show stopper but something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by TedBrown View Post

I gave some thought to a walk-in bath until I realized that one has to wait in the tub until it has both filled and drained; perhaps not a show stopper but something to consider.
      I had not thought of that but I think the idea is to give access to a shower without tearing out the tub and losing the ability to take a bath. You can prefill as a conventional tub.

Comment

The US Amazon store has the insert ($200-400). So, I guess it could be sourced.

Comment

Originally posted by TedBrown View Post

I don't think the OP is trying to convert a regular bathtub to a walk in bathtub nor is the kit Mike referred to a conversion to a walk in bathtub. He is converting a regular bathtub to a walk in shower. Big difference.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken this is what he wants to do.

tub.jpg

Comment

Looks like there are 2 or 3 brands available on Amazon.com, don't see any on Amazon.ca. No experience with them but seem to have positive reviews and if you're comfortable using an angle grinder to cut it appears to be a straight forward installation.

Comment

Might be OK on a fibreglass tub but I'm not so sure about the steel tubs. You'd probably need an armour suit to avoid the porcelain chips. LOL

Comment

I thought all bath tubs had a different shape so I'm not sure how you get one of those kits to seal well enough, any plastic tub would loose a lot of strength cutting away that much side I guess you could beef it up underneath, and then most baths leak eventually around the sides when a shower is put over them, then you have rotten walls, I can see a gimmick here.
                  Just do a shower. IMO

Comment

Thanks. That's the kind of kit I was thinking of. Once I knew what words to look for, I Googled it and found a couple of sources. $495 CDN and $225 US. The Canadian one is $1195 installed.

The question still is, has anyone either done it or had it done?

The installation instructions for one of the kits say to cut with an angle grinder on a cast iron tub, but use a Sawzall on plastic or steel. I would have thought the porcelain on a steel tub would destroy a blade almost instantly. A Sawzall would certainly throw less dust if it works.

Comment

A sawzall would work. Unless you need a tub that would only hold 3” of standing water, my choice would be remove the tub, install a shower base and side panels and have a modern look about it. But, that’s me.

Comment

This whole bathtub cut out idea just seems like an insanely goofy idea. After all the labor, mess & cost you just have an ugly looking shower stall that won't function nearly as well as a properly built one.

Comment

I'm with Mike on this one. I have taken out a few of them and replaced them with this walk in shower. It's not that difficult and they work very well. They come in different sizes and 4 pcs. so they will fit into just about any room.

Comment

Working...
                          X