Matching old crown molding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching old crown molding

I'm in the design phase for a built-in wall unit (in my own home). My plan is to have the unit extend right to the ceiling. The wall unit will span across the room (13'). There is existing plastered-in-place crown molding around the perimeter of the room. My wall unit will extend to the ceiling, and I would like to (somehow) match the old profile and have that run across the top of the new built-in. Has anybody had to do this? I've attached a pic of the profile I have to match up to.

thumbnail_IMG_8669.jpg
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Matching old crown molding

That looks like standard premade moulding built up from several profiles. Should not be too difficult to find from a company like Alexandria Moulding. When was the house built?
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Finnisher View Post
      I'm in the design phase for a built-in wall unit (in my own home). My plan is to have the unit extend right to the ceiling. The wall unit will span across the room (13'). There is existing plastered-in-place crown molding around the perimeter of the room. My wall unit will extend to the ceiling, and I would like to (somehow) match the old profile and have that run across the top of the new built-in. Has anybody had to do this? I've attached a pic of the profile I have to match up to.

thumbnail_IMG_8669.jpg
      It could be done but I would suggest in 2 or 3 separate pcs. The top section would be easy to make and then the center might need a custom cutter and the lower square section could be made on a TS. Make a cardboard profile of it and then split into sections. It would make it so much easier. Is the wall unit stained or painted. This would make a difference and give choices also.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
        That looks like standard premade moulding built up from several profiles. Should not be too difficult to find from a company like Alexandria Moulding. When was the house built?
        Rob
        The house was built 1960's, and the wall unit will be painted

Comment

Two ways you can do it. First is to match the profile. The flats can be mdf but the moulding is either a custom grind or carve / route the profile on your own. That's not an off the shelf crown profile so nothing you can buy will match. That crown is missing the bottom terminating edge so MAYBE lightning will strike and you can find a profile that's close that you can rip the bottom off but I wouldn't bet on it. The second choice is to cut the existing crown and put in a transition block so you can finish with similar but not exact mouldings .... or something completely different ..... and your don't have to nail the profile. Both profiles butt square into the block.

Comment

You can also make them from plaster, not too hard to make a wood tool to wipe the profile with.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
              You can also make them from plaster, not too hard to make a wood tool to wipe the profile with.
              He's putting them on a cabinet. It could be done but I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

That could be a foam mldg. -- you could check with some suppliers to see if they carry that one.

Cr.jpg

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'll shop around, and see if I can find some profiles close and maybe I can modify. I will have to tie into the existing crown molding with it, making two inside corners so its gotta be pretty close....unless someone has another idea of how to finish the top of the wall unit, to the ceiling.

Attached is a picture of something similar to my plan

contemporary-home-theater.jpg
                  Last edited by Finnisher; 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

IMO it depends on what you are trying to accomplish design wise. If you want the new installation to look like it was part of the original design you should match existing however if for example your design more contemporary or of an obviously different architectural design then better off with an obviously different terminating moulding than trying to match existing. My own tastes tend toward making the new installation 'in the style of' existing rather than trying to match existing unless I'm dead sure I can match what's there 100%.

Comment

Working...
                    X