Maple Stairs in New Construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maple Stairs in New Construction

Dovetail cutter is a great idea. If I did use a dovetail cutter I would rough it out with a straight bit in a plunge router then you wouldn't be hogging the entire tread mortise in a single pass and you could get your bevel on the face of the tread while leaving flat bearing for the wedge.

Pine would would be my first choice over spruce. Commonwealth plywood stocks 6/4 x 10"-12" pine stringer stock. ( at least the did a few years ago) If you just call them stringer stock at the sales desk they know exactly what you mean.

I've also done stairs laminating 2 x 3/4" hardwood VC ply. It was kind of a special situation done craftsman style QWO one side housed and the other open and millwork underneath. I worked a post into the millwork mid span on the open stringer to allow me to use stringers that weren't freakishly deep without a bounce.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

continuing on, bull nose is done, making up a template for the stringers. assembly on site is scheduled for saturday when nobody else will be around!!
      our stringer stock is 6/4 by 12 pine not spruce(my mistake), its been delivered and is sitting on saw horses in the house
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Any update pics of finished stairs.
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

Working...
        X