Pole Shed Structure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Shed Structure?

I lucked into cast-off hydro poles (8" to 20" widths) for my new expanded pole shed. It will be three adjacent 12' by 12' spaces with a floating roof supported on 8 vertical poles. Poles have been installed - my next step is to cut-off poles to be level side to side and rise 4' back to front. Open to weather all sides.

I will use 16' poles spanning from the back to the front sitting on four sets of front/back poles. Once those are installed I will use 2" by 6" pine rough cut to build a 16" on center roof support structure; then strapped with 1" by 4" pine on 16" center; then steel roofing.

What is the best way to cut or notch the poles (either the horizontal and/or vertical).
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Pole Shed Structure?

Your 16' poles will be round? Normally you will want the outside walls to be straight so you will have to shim or cut back the verticals to achieve this. Width of building will dictate weight of trusses therefore the strength of the horizontal sill on top of the verticals. A 12' span is quite a lot! A chainsaw is the logical choice but make sure it is properly sharpened to cut straight.

Comment

First off scaffolding or a tied off ladder followed by a safety harness. Then for the cutting; electric or gas chainsaw, a reciprocating saw, or the old buck saw. Might want to consider drilling holes to outline and end the interior cuts. Laser level would also be nice.

An arborist friend with a basket truck would make it all much easier! ( manlift )
      Bob just past Ayr likes this.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Poles are round diameters 8-20". There will be no walls; used for firewood and machinery storage.

I have scaffolding to needed heights (3' by 8' footprint). My thought was to use a chainsaw but I am not convinced that is the best course; I have a 24" cross saw but not the best otherwise hand, circulating, reciprocating saws. No friends (lol).

Comment

When I did my pole barn shed I used my 14” Poulan chainsaw for cutting & notching the poles.

If you’re not comfortable with using a chainsaw like that- don’t!
          Things can go really wrong really fast with a chainsaw.

A handsaw or sawzall would be safer but a wee bit slower - not a big deal assuming you’re not getting paid for this job ;)

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

If you’re not comfortable with using a chainsaw like that- don’t!

Nathan
            I have a Stihl 18" blade, am comfortable with it's use. Nathan how did you notch on the verticals and on the horizontals?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by TedBrown View Post

I have a Stihl 18" blade, am comfortable with it's use. Nathan how did you notch on the verticals and on the horizontals?
              By eye.
              Its a pole barn, I didn’t get too fussy about it.

The 14” poulan is really light, it’s great for rough carpentry tasks & demo.

Nathan

Comment

If you have solid footing like on a scaffold a chainsaw should work well.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                X