Painting Concrete Walls and Floor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Concrete Walls and Floor.

Our Rock and Gem club is going to be renting a basement of a 100 year old community hall for a workshop. . The bare concrete wall shows the white stuff. Since the club isn't that big or rich, this will be a big undertaking. . My wife is the rockhound, so I have been volunteered. I'm thinking a interior waterproofing then white paint for lighting on the wall. And paint for the floor to make easier clean up, Suggestions ? THX
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Painting Concrete Walls and Floor.

If there is water coming thru the wall, no sense in doing anything till its addressed.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Wash it down with TPS then use water lock paint on the walls.

Comment

The easiest methodology for you is going to be wire brushing the surface to eliminate the loose flaky stuff, then UGL, then 2 finish coats of good quality flat finish acrylic paint. If you don't get rid of the flaky stuff, the new is just going to come off with it.
        Graco Magnum 262800 X5 - best paint sprayer for cabinets
        MMD7NP – best pinless moisture meter for wood

Comment

The is a "Flooring" section on the "Garage Journal" forum that provides very comprehensive advice and feedback for dealing with painting concrete and the various challenges that that entails.. It is well monitored by a few guys who sell products and while their motivation is to sell they do have a ton of experience and will provide good suggestions for specific situations.

From the reading I have done there good preparation of the surfaces is the most critical step and usually is labour rather than spend intensive. From personal experience I can say that any water intrusion must be addressed as step one otherwise you will spend time and money only to have a flaking situation within a few short years.

Good luck!
          Last edited by TedBrown; 12-29-2018, 09:20 AM.
          Rick Thom likes this.

Comment

What is UGL ?

This basement isn't in a home. It seemed dry enough. Everyone is very excited to get a lapidary workshop.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
              What is UGL ?
              United Gilsonite Laboratories ( UGL ): products for treating masonry. Masonry surfaces are inherently porous, dotted with numerous tiny pores and pinholes. When properly applied, DRYLOK® Masonry Waterproofer fills in those spaces and bonds with the surface. GUARANTEED to stop water penetration, DRYLOK® is effective on interior, exterior, above or below grade masonry walls, cinder and concrete blocks, stucco, brick, retaining walls, basements, and foundation.

Bill R. likes this.
              Graco Magnum 262800 X5 - best paint sprayer for cabinets
              MMD7NP – best pinless moisture meter for wood

Comment

The white stuff is phosphates. Chances are the concrete will not have any additives to look after the phosphates.

So—- either you waterproof the exterior concrete walls and then finish the interior or you will spend a lot of time working on the interior just to watch the wall keep spalling off.

You could clean up the interior walls and apply a very inexpensive paint with the understanding that it will need redoing every few years.
                dave_k likes this.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

One hundred years ago, I don't think they used much in the way of additives in concrete, chuckle. I think in those days, they did on site mixing. Larger ones than the ones we see around now.

Comment

2000 years ago the Romans were adding oxen's blood and horse hair to concrete to improve its strength.

Comment

Working...
                    X