venting clothes dryer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venting clothes dryer

I have to install an electric clothes dryer on the ground floor of a house, but there's no place to put it on an exterior wall. Running the vent horizontally through the house would involve more demolition than the Lady of the House will accept. It looks relatively simple to run the vent through the floor and out through the basement. The length of the horizontal portion of the vent would be the same. All that would be added would be one elbow and an extra foot or so of vertical pipe to go down into the basement. That doesn't concern me as much as the fact that the flow would be downward for that foot. Is directing a dryer vent downward a big no-no or is it routine? I found one thread on this forum where someone had an existing vent system similar to what I'm contemplating. He was improving it by replacing the flex pipe with rigid, and no-one suggested that it shouldn't go down into the basement, so maybe I'm worrying too much.

Also, I remember a y-valve and filter arrangement that was used to vent the dryer exhaust into a basement (only for winter use, when the heat and humidity were presumably beneficial). Do they still exist? If they do, I might be able to get away with installing one for the winter, and postponing the cutting of a vent hole in the foundation until better weather.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: venting clothes dryer

Don't have any experience in the area but just a thought. Is the basement ceiling open and can you install a lint trap/cleanout at the elbow? The change in direction may naturally cause some lint to fall out at the elbow anyway so it might be advantageous to take advantage of this and avoid a potential buildup of lint.
    schor likes this.

Comment

while I don't know what code that may apply, I have found many BAD installations while helping friends & family move into/out of different homes.

I would have NO issue running the duct work as you explain (through floor, then horizontal.

But ensure it is proper ducting, opposed to the plastic accordian style stuff, and as stated a lint trap would be beneficial.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Do not vent your dryer into living space, that’s s grwat way to grow mold!!

Down through the floor and then out is fine.

Nathan
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

Well, I'm going to give the dissenting view. I, and many of my friends, vent their dryers into the house in the winter and the humidity is very welcome. Now if your house is well humidified you may want to ensure that you aren't causing problems.

My dryer is on the first floor, the pipe goes out directly through a 90 and down into the basement with about 5' of aluminum pipe into the basement. An old pair of pantyhose or tight leg is placed on the end to catch the lint. Now, the interesting part of this setup is that the pipe ends up in my workshop with a lot of exposed cast-iron and I do not have any rusting or condensation on the cast but there will be some on my storage of old coffee cans when the drying first commences and the moisture is heaviest. But I do have a shop-built filter fan that gets turned on to circulate the air when drying is in progress.

billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
            Well, I'm going to give the dissenting view. I, and many of my friends, vent their dryers into the house in the winter and the humidity is very welcome. Now if your house is well humidified you may want to ensure that you aren't causing problems.

My dryer is on the first floor, the pipe goes out directly through a 90 and down into the basement with about 5' of aluminum pipe into the basement. An old pair of pantyhose or tight leg is placed on the end to catch the lint. Now, the interesting part of this setup is that the pipe ends up in my workshop with a lot of exposed cast-iron and I do not have any rusting or condensation on the cast but there will be some on my storage of old coffee cans when the drying first commences and the moisture is heaviest. But I do have a shop-built filter fan that gets turned on to circulate the air when drying is in progress.

billh
            Yes, I agree. Depending on how dry your house is it can really help with humidity levels. I have done it also.

Comment

Do not use any type of flex hose and do a lint trap or cleanout area(s) like others mentioned.
              Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

condensing dryer!
                http://m.miele.ca/ProductDetails.aspx?pID=5

Comment

Kinda like the Festool of dryers.

Comment

Do Not vent into your house not because of the humidity but the chemicals used in washing you do not want to breathe the residue.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                      Do Not vent into your house not because of the humidity but the chemicals used in washing you do not want to breathe the residue.
                      I'm thinking that I'd want to see some support for this argument. If breathing in the moisture the results from drying these clothes is bad for you, especially after it has been as much diluted as it would be after mixing with the air already in the house, then wearing the clothes after washing them must be deadly?

Comment

When in training with CMHC to be in indoor air quality investigator we were told this. Here is a study done by the University of Washington showing the same thing https://www.futurity.org/dryer-vents...out-toxic-air/
                        Last edited by Jerome; 12-24-2018, 11:10 AM.
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

When in training with CMHC to be in indoor air quality investigator we were told this. Here is a study done by the University of Washington showing the same thing https://www.futurity.org/dryer-vents...out-toxic-air/
                          Interesting article. I followed it a bit further and found that in a general sense this claim might be correct. The same article, as well as follow up articles that I found show the emissions as being a very small percentage of what a automobile might emit? I think I'd need better data before I was too worried.

Comment

Wow that's quite interesting! Sounds like the problem could be largely mitigated however through the use of unscented detergent

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

Wow that's quite interesting! Sounds like the problem could be largely mitigated however through the use of unscented detergent
                              The articles I found after reading Jerome's link article suggested that some brands of detergent and softener do not contain the offending chemicals, and none of them actually "said" that the levels were dangerous or if they would become dangerous after "so much" time. I thought they were ..... light on recommendations? I didn't get too deep, so that might just be me.

Comment

Working...
                              X