Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House wrapping

Hi,

not sure if I am at the right section to ask opinion on this but worth a try. Need an expert opinion on the following.

My house is getting built by a big constructor. I drove by the site this weekend and took some pictures. I could be wrong but the house wrap seems to be poorly installed (see pic below).

Possible issues:
    -The wrap was not laid flat like on the other houses. They probably install it on a windy day.
    -No cap nails were used
    -Bottom of windows were taped. It is not what manufacturer (Dupont) recommends if wrap is installed after the windows.

Thanks in advance
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: House wrapping

http://www.dupont.ca/content/dam/ass...ne%20right.pdf

the link will give you some idea on how DuPont, the manufacturers of Tyvek suggest how it should be supplied. I doubt you will find many contractors that follow these steps to the letter. The application in your pics would cause me to be concerned.

Brian

ps. I reread your post and it appears you may have seen the info in the link. I have sat through a seminar by DuPont and a lot of people don't even follow the suggestions for wrap on windows with new construction. Having said that My friend is having a house built and they did it exactly as suggested by DuPont. There is hope.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 01-14-2019, 03:20 PM.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Yep .... bad job and the detailing around the windows is abysmal. Unfortunately it meets the code. Meeting the BC is nothing to brag about. The Building code is the lowest standard for human habitation required by law. The bar is not high.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
        http://www.dupont.ca/content/dam/ass...ne%20right.pdf

... I reread your post and it appears you may have seen the info in the link. I have sat through a seminar by DuPont and a lot of people don't even follow the suggestions for wrap on windows with new construction. ...

Brian
        I would say most of people don't follow the instructions Here the answer I got from Dupont today :

"The tape should be at the header and jams of all windows. Dupont recommends no tape on the bottom sill to allow water drainage if water does penetrate. The sill should be protected with flexwrap to keep it dry if water does penetrate."

There are a lot of houses being built on the site and none of them has the wrap installed correctly (tape on bottom sill, no flexwrap on sill). Oh well, if the city inspector tell me it has been installed to the code, nothing much I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBob View Post

There are a lot of houses being built on the site and none of them has the wrap installed correctly (tape on bottom sill, no flexwrap on sill). Oh well, if the city inspector tell me it has been installed to the code, nothing much I can say.
          The code states installed as per manufactures instructions, or at least in Ontario, take the instructions to the building office and speak to the inspector there.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

"The tape should be at the header and jams of all windows. Dupont recommends no tape on the bottom sill to allow water drainage if water does penetrate. The sill should be protected with flexwrap to keep it dry if water does penetrate."

Not entirely the case. That is the case if you are working to code minimums but if you for example detail the openings with blueskin or similar you run the tyvek under the blueskin on the bottom and seal it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYM2MOMes

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post

Not entirely the case. That is the case if you are working to code minimums but if you for example detail the openings with blueskin or similar you run the tyvek under the blueskin on the bottom and seal it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYM2MOMes
              I wish I could do it my self or pay a bit more to get it done as instructed in this video. It is probably too much time consuming for the constructor.

Lucky for me, I was able to reach the city inspector. He is going on the site soon and will verify the wrap installation to make sure it is at least to the code.

Comment

Talk to the builder. It's a reasonable request. There's no reason why they can't do a better job detailing as long as you're willing to pay for an extra. The worst that happens is they say no. I wouldn't offer to do it myself though .... there are too many issues around warrantee, safety and liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post

The code states installed as per manufactures instructions, or at least in Ontario, take the instructions to the building office and speak to the inspector there.
                  Hi Jerome

the city inspector will take a look for me.

I just red in the Ontario BC:

9.27.3.8. Flashing installation

(5) Where the sills of windows and doors installed in exterior walls are not self-flashing, flashing shall be installed between the underside of the window or door and the wall construction below.
                  REF

Am I missing something here?

Do you know where in the BC it mentions to install as per manufactures? That would be even better.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by SuperBob; 01-15-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
                    Talk to the builder. It's a reasonable request.
                    I might. The city inspector might talk to them directly so I might not have to insist. It is a big constructor and visitors are not allowed on the site. A house is such an investment these days so I drove by after hours occasionally to take pictures. They have cameras but looks like they tolerate as long you stay on the street. But it is still a delicate thing to talk to the site manager and tell him I was on site.

Comment

If your house is facing on an exterior/perimeter street you aren't on site are you? If you are going through a fence gate that's different. Got a long lens? But, yes, it could be a sensitive discussion. The essential thing is probably to show the site manager a genteel understanding & respect for their interests and cooperation which I am sure you are.
                      Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

I might. The city inspector might talk to them directly so I might not have to insist. It is a big constructor and visitors are not allowed on the site. A house is such an investment these days so I drove by after hours occasionally to take pictures. They have cameras but looks like they tolerate as long you stay on the street. But it is still a delicate thing to talk to the site manager and tell him I was on site.
                        Regardless of the state of the job when you took the photograph the city inspector is not going to allow work to proceed until the tyvek is installed to code. If you want detailing above and beyond what's agreed to then talk to the builder and see if they will make the change. Going to the builder or city inspector with photos taken from the street isn't going to ingratiate yourself with anyone, or get anything done. They're going to tell you something nice to shut you up then go about their job.

The best course of action IMO is to review the builders specs in detail then talk to your contact with the builder about your concerns and possible remedies or improvements. Carpenters have been known to walk away from jobs at the end of the day leaving them in a terrible state ..... especially on cold winter days. Don't judge until they have a chance to complete the work.

Comment

Hi Jerome

the city inspector will take a look for me.

I just red in the Ontario BC:

REF

Am I missing something here?

Do you know where in the BC it mentions to install as per manufactures? That would be even better.
                          I can't imagine any builder is finished installing that window. The pic you show is even before the wrap has been applied. Where is a pic with the wrap?

OK Bob,,,,,,,,I went to your first pic which showed the wrinkled wrap etc. I blew the pic up so big all I could see was the bottom sill and it's too fuzzy to risk commenting with conviction so please don't overreact. I think you do need to talk to the builder and if he's as big as you say he should have no problem addressing the complaint. In my opinion that window sill will leak. It won't happen for years quite likely but it could happen in the first rainstorm. That's provided what I think I see is actually there.

I would try to go thru channels properly to get to the site supervisor and not his superior. Some guys don't deal reasonably when you point out their deficiency. They should, but human nature is what it is. And,,,,,if the guy has a lot on his plate he could easily miss your job. When I supervised I wanted to hear and be told of deficiencies so I could fix them. If I was paying a guy I wanted him to do what was in his contract. If he didn't he didn't get paid until he did. Use some diplomacy. You could let him know that you're aware of how busy he is and that it's easy to miss something.

BTW keeping visitors to a minimum is more about theft than keeping you away.
                          Last edited by Rusty; 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM.
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Fine Homebuilding has a pretty good article on house wrap but written in 2006. I read it and a few others and if the house in the pictures above were mine, I would not be too worried about how pretty the house wrap looks, just that it covers properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

I can't imagine any builder is finished installing that window. The pic you show is even before the wrap has been applied. Where is a pic with the wrap?

OK Bob,,,,,,,,I went to your first pic which showed the wrinkled wrap etc. I blew the pic up so big all I could see was the bottom sill and it's too fuzzy to risk commenting with conviction so please don't overreact. I think you do need to talk to the builder and if he's as big as you say he should have no problem addressing the complaint. In my opinion that window sill will leak. It won't happen for years quite likely but it could happen in the first rainstorm. That's provided what I think I see is actually there.

I would try to go thru channels properly to get to the site supervisor and not his superior. Some guys don't deal reasonably when you point out their deficiency. They should, but human nature is what it is. And,,,,,if the guy has a lot on his plate he could easily miss your job. When I supervised I wanted to hear and be told of deficiencies so I could fix them. If I was paying a guy I wanted him to do what was in his contract. If he didn't he didn't get paid until he did. Use some diplomacy. You could let him know that you're aware of how busy he is and that it's easy to miss something.

BTW keeping visitors to a minimum is more about theft than keeping you away.
                              My next step was to meet with the site manager. But the city inspector took a look for me and recommended them to make some adjustment. The site manager explained that they install the Tyvek as an air barrier only and not as an air barrier/water barrier. Funny too pay so much for a quality house wrap and not installing it properly.

But guess what...after looking at about 20 construction sites (GTA, Ottawa, even around Montreal) on Google Street, none of them install it properly. And Most of them don't install flashing on the sill. A contractor who attended a Tyvek training session said that most of the contractors don't know how to install it. And for those who knew, will they really do it since it is time consuming?

Not worth to create tension between me and builder, I am letting go. House wrap is just not been taken seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X