Finger jointed studs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger jointed studs?

I'm doing some repairs in my Mum in law's basement and I went to Home Depot to get some 2x2s to strap the wall today. When I bought 2x2s last fall at my local Home Building Centre they were the regular strapping grade ones I've bought for decades but the only ones HD had were finger joint. Oddly, the 2x2s were something like 75 cents more than the 2x3s so of course I bought those instead, figuring they will be a bigger target for the drywall screws

The 2x3s are also finger jointed and they are marked "Premium" and "S-P-F S-Dry Stud". Which makes me wonder if they are really strong enough for structural work. I mean, I've worked with finger jointed millwork in the past and it always seems to break at the joint....

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Finger jointed studs?

2x2 or 2x3's are not what I would consider "structural" but I've used them for non loading walls in like a basement, or to make a "quiet room" (2x3 staggered on 2x4 sill)

but any 2x2's I've seen for a few years, @ HD atleast, have been finger joined. I've only used them for bulkheads in basement around ducting, etc.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

If, as you said, you are using them to strap a wall, finger jointed should be fine.

Comment

I actually prefer finger joint when non-structural. I’ve done a few basements with 2 x 3 finger joint studs, In front of the drop-down bagged insulation. Sometimes I’ve added insulation, but I have to cut it down as it is rated for steel stud centres. I personally rather put steel studs in any basement. Snips and a screw gun. I’ve done a fair amount of commercial jobs. Like Wendy’s or McDonald’s... I am required to do all steel.

in my own basement wood workshop, I did go with wood studs 2×4 which is about 25%. The other 25%I’ve already stud it with metal. Metal is cheaper at the beginning (in my opinion) but gets a little more expensive when doing wiring.
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 01-18-2019, 12:30 AM.
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Your question about load bearing capacity is answered by the grade stamp found on the lumber. That is what the grading system is designed for: providing assurance about the products sold and used for construction.

Comment

Yeah, If I didn't think it would be OK for strapping I would have gone somewhere else. I'm going to go downstairs and finish putting the rest of them up in a few minutes.

But I was thinking that if you built a wall using finger jointed studs it might break if someone fell against it....

Also, some of the ones that I didn't take had pretty good gaps at some of the joints.

Comment

Finger jointed products are better than a single piece. No knots, less chance of warping.
              Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

If I had a camera with me I'd post a pic of how many knots these have. Very few of the glued up pieces are knot free and some even have splits. And as for warping, I had to pick through to find reasonably straight ones.

If I buy econo studs at my local place they are solid wood and a far greater proportion are good.

Comment

As Steve mentioned finger jointed material is a good product. Extensive testing was involved before the product was accepted for use under the building code.

Comment

You can bet the ones used for testing were made of better material and a lot more carefully joined than the crap at the store...

Comment

You may want to read this article https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/how-to-read-stamp
                      beachburl likes this.
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Jérôme: thanks for the link. This provides the background for the grade stamp I referred to above.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
                          If I had a camera with me I'd post a pic of how many knots these have. Very few of the glued up pieces are knot free and some even have splits. And as for warping, I had to pick through to find reasonably straight ones.

If I buy econo studs at my local place they are solid wood and a far greater proportion are good.
                          hmm, that's too bad. The whole reason for finger jointing in the first place is to be able to eliminate the knots. I wonder if they are made in china or somewhere else and the buyers are just dumb to buy these?
                          Steve The Drill Sergeant
                          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

I personly would never buy lumber at BORG
                            Jerome
                            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post

hmm, that's too bad. The whole reason for finger jointing in the first place is to be able to eliminate the knots. I wonder if they are made in china or somewhere else and the buyers are just dumb to buy these?
                              It is also a great way to use up scraps of wood rather than burning them. As long as they are not for structural use strength is not an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X