Finger jointed studs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finger jointed studs?

Interesting article but it doesn't really say anything I hadn't figured out.

I won't be buying lumber there again. In this case I didn't have a lot of choice because the person that drove me to the store wouldn't have liked it if I had said I needed to go to Home Lumber or Rona and they are good enough for strapping.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

... this is an interesting thread!

A couple of elements need clarification:

- all lumber bearing a grading stamp from a recognized grading authority conforms with the national grading rules
      - presence of knots does not automatically mean poor stucutural strength
      - graded lumber is "equal" regardless of place of purchase - the stamp is what matters; this being said, some places will target "better looking" products as most (if not all) customers usually prefer buying something that "looks good". In other words, a piece graded as a no.2 has met all the required characteristics and where it is being sold becomes somewhat irrelevant. Some retailers will sell "better looking" products than their competitors but the "safety" of the product remains the same (unless the product was not graded properly).

when grading lumber the focus is mainly on physical characteristics, not aesthetics. something may look awful but still meet the grading rules.

photos of products that appear to be questionable could be sent to the grading agency (identified on the grading mark) so that they may take appropriate action if deemed necessary.

Comment

Search google for structural finger jointed lumber. You might be surprised.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Both structural and vertical only grades according to this
          http://cwc.ca/wood-products/lumber/finger-joined/

Comment

This link from Canadian Wood Council may answer some of your concern. Finger jointed studs were available for years before I left BC and I left in 1979. IIRC when they first came out the could not be load bearing but like everything else glues have improved etc etc. For renos or any wall not load bearing steel studs are my first choice. I did a wine cellar in Sarnia a couple years back on a high end home and interior walls were steel studs. It was a surprise to both me and the homeowner.
            http://cwc.ca/wood-products/lumber/finger-joined/

didnt realize there was a page two, doubled Jims link
            Egon likes this.
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
            X