Insulate garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulate garage

Hello all, I've recently decided it would be a good idea to insulate my garage. The garage is a 2 car garage about 18 ft deep, attached and is one of the front corners of the house so the side and front are exterior walls and are not insulated. Above is the master bedroom. I included pictures. I have never done an insulation job before but I think I should be able to do it. The picture with the 2x4s shows part of the side wall and there is this black mesh between the wall and drywall on the ceiling I think there is insulation above. There is the garage door, and a picture of above the garage door as well as a hole I made in the ceiling near the front of the garage to run a wire for one of my security cameras monitoring the front door. The hole is underneath a roof truss where there are shingles above, the front of the master bedroom starts further back on the garage roof if that makes sense. Insulating the garage exterior side wall seems straight forward to me, just remove everything off the wall grab some fiberglass R14 insulation and staple vapour barrier on top then add dry wall over. It's more the garage door, around the garage door and the ceiling I'm wondering about. Would something like 2 of these be good for the garage door:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Owens-Corning-...oor+insulation
    ?

And for around the garage door do I just cut and put in fiberglass insulation along the narrow sides and above the garage door? Do I go above the drywall doing it? Also I assume between the masterbedroom and the garage there is insulation, but the hole I made I didn't see any above,, granted, the hole is not beneath the bedroom. Should it be insulated above the hole? I should probably see if I can take a picture above the hole to see if I can see any insulation further back.

Anyways, I wanted to get any feedback or recommendations you guys might have. I also plan on fixing the weather stripping at the bottom of the garage door there is a gap or two.

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Insulate garage

The garage door appears to be an insulated type? If so, I would worry about insulating it last. Making sure that the weatherstripping around the door is working properly will do a lot to help keep warm air in and cold air out.

Comment

You need to seal that hole, it could allow exhaust fumes into the house if there is no other barrier beyond it.

Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Don't take this as an insult but judging from your comments it sounds like you know very little about home construction so here goes. Don't run a car in that garage you could gas yourself.!! Steve beat me to it well done Steve.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

There are lots of guys here who could help you wait for the answers and they will need more and better pics too to advise you correctly. I would but I have to run to an eye appointment downtown.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

You can also consider glueing styrofoam insulation around the doors.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

We don't run cars in the garage, I do plan on patching the hole, but I wasn't sure if I should put insulation up there or not, in which case that would be wasted effort. How can you tell if the garage door is insulated or not? I don't think it is. Anyways, advice is welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Windsurfer30 View Post
                How can you tell if the garage door is insulated or not?
                If the door is thicker than just one layer of ply (appears to have an inner and outer skin?), and appears to sandwich "something", then the chances are better that it's insulated. A small drill bit through an inside panel, just to see what's between the inner and outer door skins should tell the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Windsurfer30 View Post
                  We don't run cars in the garage, I do plan on patching the hole, but I wasn't sure if I should put insulation up there or not, in which case that would be wasted effort. How can you tell if the garage door is insulated or not? I don't think it is. Anyways, advice is welcome
                  You do want to insulate up there.
                  Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

I vaguely remember from the past, a recommendation (Jon Eakes) to install a bathroom fan in the garage, attached to a motion detector since fumes continue from the car even after shut down. (?)

Noel

schor likes this.
                    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "
                    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                      I vaguely remember from the past, a recommendation (Jon Eakes) to install a bathroom fan in the garage, attached to a motion detector since fumes continue from the car even after shut down. (?)

Noel
                      Once the car is shut off there still is exhaust gasses in the exhaust system that will take some time to mix with the air in the garage. I don't think that small volume of exhaust gas is a big concern, but I really don't know for sure.
                      Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post

You do want to insulate up there.
                        Not necessarily Steve. We need to see more of it. The area he shows is the part under the roof but not exactly under the bedroom. I think the bedroom is set back from the front face of the garage. The problem is the drywall we see may in fact be the gas stop but not necessarily where the insulation is required. In other words it's boxed down. We need a pic above the hole but below the bedroom floor to determine where and what but he does need to close that hole ultimately. The framing 2x4's above the overhead door are wide open and that concerns me too.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Another issue to consider is the bedroom. Is it cold? If so now is the time to address that, insulating the garage won't necessarily help the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                            Noel
                            I have a CO detector in our detached 24x36' garage/shop. After my old lawn mower/snowblower had run for maybe 5mins, the alarm went off.
                            I shut it down (was done with it anyway) & opened the door for the few minutes I was putting tools away. 5mins of door 1/2 open and I shut it to go inside, alarm still beeping.

All this was about 11pm, and the next morning & 425am when I left for work the alarm was still going off.

As mentioned, insulation will benefit anyone working in the garage, but a proper barrier between home & garage will benefit everyone living in the home.
                            [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Not necessarily Steve. We need to see more of it. The area he shows is the part under the roof but not exactly under the bedroom. I think the bedroom is set back from the front face of the garage. The problem is the drywall we see may in fact be the gas stop but not necessarily where the insulation is required. In other words it's boxed down. We need a pic above the hole but below the bedroom floor to determine where and what but he does need to close that hole ultimately. The framing 2x4's above the overhead door are wide open and that concerns me too.
                              The way I am thinking is he wants to insulate his garage, so that means the open section of ceiling needs to be insulated.
                              Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Working...
                              X