Insulate garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulate garage

Wind ,,,,if those are in fact paper faced batts they will work but most everyone would think the paper which is also the vapour barrier should be on the other side which is the warm side of the insulation.

Sorry Steve no offence meant but Windsurfer,, do not take that ceiling down!!! If i'm correct it is part of your gas proofing and cannot be removed.

What you have is a bedroom floor above a boxed down ceiling in your garage. The box part is 12 or 16 inches below your bedroom floor. I'm guessing the space between the floor and the box is full of insulation, or at lest the floor joist space is full of insulation. Leave it alone. Fix the hole you made.

If you look at pic #3 in post #27 you will see a 2x4 butt joined and spiked to a 2x8 on the left end of the 2x4. The 2x4 is now a ceiling joist for the roof overhang. You can also see the rafter running up hill and into your master bedroom wall which is the OSB sheathing that you can see.

You can insulate the ceiling of the roof overhang to retain warmth in the garage. The issue you have is I think your exterior soffit is non-vented on the garage roof overhang and it becomes your choice whether you choose to fix it. That's why I asked if the soffit by the downspouts was vented or not. Theoretically you may have a cross flow of air coming through vented soffit over your front door or front room overhang and exiting by the down pipes. You may have no venting. I can't tell from the pics.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I would take it down and do it right if the bedroom above was cold. Then redo the drywall and seal it all up.
      Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Hi rusty, if I were to insulate above the hole/overhang. What would be the best way to go about it? Blown insulation? Or would I have to remove the drywall and put up fibreglass insulation and then vapour barrier then new drywall back up? I will try and take some more pictures but it is friggn cold out

Edit: I was just looking online and I am very sure our soffit is aluminum vented
        Last edited by Windsurfer30; 01-21-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Windsurfer there is nothing wrong with what is there and it has worked well for years so leave that part alone. If I were you I would cut one hole taking out one strip of drywall between the ceiling joists of the overhang area so a man could stick his head up there and fill the void with sprayed in cellulose. Cheap and effective. Then fix and tape the drywall including the first hole. Prime the entire ceiling with a good primer and then a good ceiling paint. Good paint is and will be your vapour barrier.

Do the outside walls and gaps over the door as per a typical insulation and vapour barrier treatment. Drywall on the walls is optional.

Thank you for understanding. No further pics needed.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks Rusty for all the valuable input!

Comment

Working...
            X