How to deal with drywall rot next to bathtub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with drywall rot next to bathtub

There is a small area of the wall adjacent to the bathtub that has been affected by moisture. Looks like the drywall is deteriorating in that area, and the paint is peeling off. Is there any spot repair that can be done that will last, or do I need to replace drywall with one of those moisture-resistant types? Thanks!

wall.jpg
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How to deal with drywall rot next to bathtub

You could cut the offending parts out and replace with this plastic trim boards from HD. I always use it to trim around a fiberglass shower or bath. It is very easy to work with and looks great when finished. There is a couple of different kinds and one that's smooth and shiny that's more expensive.

Comment

Cure the leak first. The floor could be suffering too, its always worse than it looks on the surface, Dry wall has no place in a wet area even the water resistant stuff suffers, dependent on type of timber that's behind the dry wall you could have rotten timber too.
      Its good to see its not only NZ building systems that are all wrong, but then it keeps a lot of people employed, I was one of them for a few years.

Comment

I agree with bkrits, fix the cause,not the symptom. Some of this fixing could be human related such as be sure to keep the shower curtain closed, better curtain, and things like that. If the area that is getting damp is strictly from surface water (not leaking behind) then waterproof material and good caulking can keep the water from getting behind. Painted surface can be protected by making sure any water that is on surface gets wiped off. It all boils down to keeping the water off and away.

billh
        agenkin likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
          Cure the leak first.
          I don't think there is a leak, I think it's just a little spray that gets through in between the shower curtain and the wall. Not sure how fixable this is, I have two kids, who can be pretty absent minded about this kind of stuff.
          Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
            You could cut the offending parts out and replace with this plastic trim boards from HD. I always use it to trim around a fiberglass shower or bath. It is very easy to work with and looks great when finished. There is a couple of different kinds and one that's smooth and shiny that's more expensive.
            Do you use that board as a trim piece, or do you blend it in flush with the drywall?

Comment

Originally posted by agenkin View Post

Do you use that board as a trim piece, or do you blend it in flush with the drywall?
              As a trim piece . You can rabbet it to fit over the drywall and fasten it to the stud once you remove the damage. It looks real nice and clean once finished.
              agenkin likes this.

Comment

Bob has it. Fix the problem first.

I can see a gap between the tiles at the top corner of the tub in your picture. The water is obviously getting behind the tile and has been for a very long time. It has simply been ignored and that's probably because it involves a lot of work to fix it properly now.

The water is coming from behind the drywall and tile. You already have a plastic trim piece there at the edge of the tile. It won't stop anything. The moisture has wicked up into the drywall and now unfortunately it is ruined.
                Last edited by Rusty; 01-24-2019, 04:23 PM. Reason: I typed the first paragraph 3 hours ago, Wife called and forgot to post it .
                nnieman likes this.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

That plastic trim piece can also be used from the top of the tub up the wall and siliconed 90 degrees from wall so the shower curtain can be tucked behind doesn't have to be 6 inches wide could be 4 and could do both sides.
                  Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Bob has it. Fix the problem first.

I can see a gap between the tiles at the top corner of the tub in your picture. The water is obviously getting behind the tile and has been for a very long time. It has simply been ignored and that's probably because it involves a lot of work to fix it properly now.

The water is coming from behind the drywall and tile. You already have a plastic trim piece there at the edge of the tile. It won't stop anything. The moisture has wicked up into the drywall and now unfortunately it is ruined.
                    Rusty is correct.

Remove the drywall, assess the damage and replace accordingly.
                    Don't cover up mold with a piece of plastic trim.

Replace with green (or blue) moisture resistant drywall.
                    But fix the problem first.

Sorry my friend, I know its not what you want to hear.
                    But I do this for a living.

Nathan
                    stotto likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Rusty is correct.

Remove the drywall, assess the damage and replace accordingly.
                      Don't cover up mold with a piece of plastic trim.

Replace with green (or blue) moisture resistant drywall.
                      But fix the problem first.

Sorry my friend, I know its not what you want to hear.
                      But I do this for a living.

Nathan
                      Nobody said to cover the mold with plastic. It was said to remove all the damage first. The plastic is just to deal with the water that he says is coming past the curtain when his kids shower. It doesn't matter what kind of drywall you put there if the kids do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Nobody said to cover the mold with plastic. It was said to remove all the damage first. The plastic is just to deal with the water that he says is coming past the curtain when his kids shower. It doesn't matter what kind of drywall you put there if the kids do the same thing.
                        Agreed.

I was just making sure it was clear to remove the moldy stuff first.

Nathan

Comment

Yes, I was not thinking of covering this over. It's clear that I need to remove the damaged material. My question is what to do next.

I understand that I may be surprised and find that there is a leak behind the wall, in which case I'd need to fix it. No argument here.

But most likely the moisture is just coming from the surface.

Comment

You will need to tear out the bad section regardless. The answer and solution will or should be obvious.
                            agenkin likes this.
                            I've cut it 3 times now. It's still too short!

Comment

Arcady, Nathan says he does this work for a living.

Take a better picture of the area including the tile and the end of the tub. BTW which end is it?

In the picture you provided it looks like there is some mold and some missing grout between the tile and the top of the tub. If that is the case then I will be even more convinced that the damage you show is from water leaking/wicking into the gaps in the tile and making mush out of the drywall. That kind of damage doesn't happen in a week and I'm pretty certain it's not just from splashing water hitting the paint. If you're lucky the leak is limited to the seal between the tile and the rim of the tub. Unfortunately that may not be the case and the repair is more involved,,, but like Bruce mentioned above it will be obvious.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X