Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

    I need to add a 20 amp 240 volt outlet in my garage for a new lathe. Iím comfotable doing the work but am trying to find out if I can add 2 outlets on the same breaker. I would like to run my wire from the panel to the first outlet and then continue to a second outlet at the other end of the garage. Is this allowed. i canít find anywhere in the code or online that says it is okay. I did find one reference online saying you can only have 1 outlet per breaker for 240 volt.
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

    Hi, normally 12 devices per circuit.

    Check with the local authority having jurisdiction.

    Generally the connections from the receptacle to the feeder are done in Mariettaís, no using the receptacle as the joint.....Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

      Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
      Hi, normally 12 devices per circuit.

      Check with the local authority having jurisdiction.

      Generally the connections from the receptacle to the feeder are done in Mariettaís, no using the receptacle as the joint.....Rod.
      I really don't know how you would join wires with a Marietta I might be inclined to use Marrettes instead. LOL. FYI Rod. .

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

        As far as I know 2 outlets is fine.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

          May I suggest doing one outlet, and then making yourself and extension cord perhaps BX cable or similar with a guarding on it to protect from being crushed etc. and running the extension cord to the other end. That way you don't violate if there are multiple plugs on the same line, and you also can only use one at a time so you don't over amp the breaker by accidentally operating two machines at the same time. Of course I'd recommend consulting an electrician, as well as have your work inspected by an electrical safety inspector before operating it so as to not violate your home owners insurance. Saving $50 bucks on installation means nothing if you burned down your building and they say it was the work done that was the cause and suddenly they don't pay out for replacement......

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

            Thanks everyone for their responses. I ended up just going with one outlet for now. I can easily add the second one later if needed.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

              Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

              I really don't know how you would join wires with a Marietta I might be inclined to use Marrettes instead. LOL. FYI Rod. .
              Haha, that was good Wally, I have a new iPad and it gets carried away with auto correct....Rod

              P.S. Your German stew post motivated us to make pork goulash with spaetzla
              Wally in Calgary likes this.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

                Originally posted by Scott_ View Post
                Thanks everyone for their responses. I ended up just going with one outlet for now. I can easily add the second one later if needed.
                Hi Scott, my entire shop machinery, except for the cyclone is on a single multi-wire branch circuit with quantity four, four inch square boxes around the shop.

                This gives a duplex 120 and a duplex 240 volt receptacle in each box......Rod
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

                  Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

                  Haha, that was good Wally, I have a new iPad and it gets carried away with auto correct....Rod

                  P.S. Your German stew post motivated us to make pork goulash with spaetzla
                  Do you use water or milk to make you Spaetzle?? I love pork goulash. It's one of my favorites. I like making it with Shoulder chops and it's got to have green peppers along with some hot ones. LOL.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: how many 20 amp outlets can i have on a 240 volt circuit?

                    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

                    Do you use water or milk to make you Spaetzle?? I love pork goulash. It's one of my favorites. I like making it with Shoulder chops and it's got to have green peppers along with some hot ones. LOL.
                    Hi Wally, Diann makes the Spaetzle with water, letís the dough sit for an hour or more before cooking it.

                    Yes, it has to be spicy, my BIL is Hungarian so we use hot Hungarian paprika along with a hot dried pepper from a friends garden.

                    Regards, Rod
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X