Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toilet flush is weak! What can I do now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet flush is weak! What can I do now?

I have a Toto Ultramax toilet, and I had no major issue with this one piece toilet(Installed 2.5 years ago). But from last two months, it's flush not working properly. Flush too weak and sometimes don't complete the flush. What can I do now?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Toilet flush is weak! What can I do now?

Originally posted by enkome View Post
    I have a Toto Ultramax toilet, and I had no major issue with this one piece toilet(Installed 2.5 years ago). But from last two months, it's flush not working properly. Flush too weak and sometimes don't complete the flush. What can I do now?
    A few things :
    - plunge the toilet to see if there's a blockage
    - check to be sure the tank is filling correctly
    - check to be sure that nothing is obstructing the flow of water from the tank (flow is good?)
    enkome likes this.

Comment

Check your air vent to make sure it’s not obstructed.

Comment

Originally posted by John-in-Abbotsford View Post
        Bingo! Most toilets act up in cold weather or when the vent pipe going up through the roof is covered in snow or ice. Texas is a big place and some of it is cold. Another thing that happens in warmer southern climates is bird and squirrel nests in the pipes.
        Beaverfever1988 likes this.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by John-in-Abbotsford View Post
          That's a new one on me. I have lived my entire life in places that get as cold as -50'c and I'd not heard of that, but it just makes a lot of sense. I learned something new ... it's a good day!

Comment

John I've lived in houses that never had the problem. Sometimes it just depends on the wind direction, temperature and type of snow. It's also the reason that some ceiling exhaust fans will drip on very rare occasions.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

With heavy wind gusts I can see the level in the toilet bowl moving so there is certainly a connection.
              Rob

Comment

From the OP’s description there is inadequate water getting to the toilet bowl to flush properly. Check the tank refill level and the flush controls in the tank. Might also look at the flapper valve condition.
                enkome likes this.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

One other item to look at. Some of the newer flapper valves can be weighted, by an adjustment on the flapper that allows it to be filled/weighted with water, if it’s too saturated and heavy with water it may be closing off too soon.

Comment

I'm guessing you've checked the mechanical parts in the tank, never heard about a weighted flapper so that sounds like something easily missed.

Also another vote towards checking out the vent, I've been doing septic and a fair bit of plumbing for 13 years now... if the issue is weird it's usually venting.
                    enkome likes this.

Comment

Step one is to make sure you have a good toilet. Some of the junk out there does not work at the best of times.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I have a new home here and used an American Standard Ravenna 3. I call it the Woooosh!! Works great on movements as big as bear crap.

Comment

I have heard stories that old toilets that use lots of water to flush are coming back into demand. Some are apparently refurbing the oldies and reselling them because the old style had the flush to carry the stuff right through their discharge line to the city line and so no blockages.

Comment

Working...
                          X