No announcement yet.

Looking for the best condensation resistant window,possibly triple glazed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for the best condensation resistant window,possibly triple glazed

Having the humidistat sitting beside your humidifier is not a bad thing. That's where you get your truest reading. Assuming it's by your furnace that's where it would measure your MIXED air. It doesn't Matter what the reading is in relation to other sensors. it matters only that you know at 50% your windows are dry or at 60% the windows are wet. The same thing is true of any sensors you have on different floors. They don't have to match and they won't.

The best advice I could give you is to run your furnace fan 24/7/365. I haven't turned any of my furnace fans off for 35 years. When and if your windows get wet and if it's enough to bother you turn down the humidifier a bit.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

It might be most accurate if you want RH off the surface of the humidifier, but that has little use to me. I'm not living over the top of a humidifier. 10 feet away drops the reading quickly, 10%-15% less. My one stand alone downstairs is within 3% of one upstairs. One is digital, one analog. It's not that wide a gap. That's what I'm getting at. In the summer it is nice to pull the side panel off the furnace to send cool air up through the house, since it is ~ 15C down there and could be 28C upstairs. Both humid, but cool humid is better than hot. Since this is a new construction, I may well end up with a humidifier. I have a big window to the west that I'm putting light blocking verticals on for summer. The rest are light blocking blinds for now. We are into mid March here now and that is the end of damp windows until next winter around mid Dec. Water has been running from snow melt here this week and the maple trees are running sap for syrup season. Nice days to sit in the afternoon sun under the porch. Rain tomorrow and nearly 10C.
      schor likes this.

Comment

Bill, if you pull the panel off the furnace to send the basement air through the duct system you must take care if the furnace is natural gas or propane fueled.

These furnaces have a secondary heat exchanger that can get plugged up much easier than single exchanger furnaces of old. It is important to have all the air going through a filter prior to hitting the secondary exchanger.

These furnaces will also have a safety shut off switch on the blower access door. You would have to thwart this switch to proceed with your plan. The safety switch is to prevent people, primarily children from coming into contact with a fast moving blower wheel. Take care.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        schor likes this.

Comment

i'm pretty sure you don't understand what i meant if you're responding to my comment Bill. No worries
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

I find most hvac system suck some times and blow the rest of the time. I'd probably put totally new ground rules if it was my choice.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant
            Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim near the Tay View Post
              Bill, if you pull the panel off the furnace to send the basement air through the duct system you must take care if the furnace is natural gas or propane fueled.
              Jim
              Wood furnace here, with electric side by. Yes there is a 'summer' switch on the furnace for low speed fan used with 'Automatic' limit control. Manual says not to take off 'Automatic' or fan runs high speed. Page 74 of Napoleon furnace manual.

My HVAC system runs both ways, that's the way it works to recover the heat from the inside air going out for heating the incoming air. Incoming goes into the cold air duct of the furnace here. Not the ultimate setup, but better than nothing.

Comment

Just a caution and maybe of no real concern at all but be careful doing things with your heating system that could pump carbon monoxide through your house.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

No danger of that here Rusty, the HVAC is into the cold air return. All combustion exhaust goes up the flu, not even possible to get in unless the place is on fire. I also have several detectors all through the house on electric and battery back up. For summer fan it would be drawing into the fan through the side panel and out the heat duct. I don't think a kid could even get chewed by one of these fans, it's not a propeller.
                  Last edited by BillCrwfrd; 03-15-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Not trying to be smart here Bill, but it is usually against the furnace manufacturers recommendations to install the cooling coil in the return air side of the furnace. This is because the cooling coil can lower the air temperature by about 20 degrees F. The result can be condensation inside the heat exchanger of the furnace, leading to premature failure of said exchanger. It is possible that this manufacturer will allow it........but I would check with the company that installed the cooling coil and get them to provide a written ok from the manufacturer.

Jim

Comment

No cooling coil into the furnace return, it is just duct, and not closed duct. Talking about air exchanger sending outside air into furnace return, which was heated inside the exchanger using inside air that is exiting. It's definitely legit.

The second discussion is using inside air from a cool basement and sending it through the heat duct during summer when the furnace is not heating. And to add that a dehumidifier runs all summer.

Two different animals.

HRV setup

HRV-system-install.jpg
                      Last edited by BillCrwfrd; 03-15-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Great.

Comment

I have had Northstar Windows in our house for about 10 years now. Only time we have any kind of condensation is when the windchill gets below -35. We run a humidifier in the bedroom because of sinus problems. If i had to replace any more windows it will be with Northstar. Awesome warranty and have not had one problem with them.
                          https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Working...
                          X