Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door Frame and Jamb dimensions ...silly question maybe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Door Frame and Jamb dimensions ...silly question maybe?

I have loads of all types of mouldings and thresholds from an auction purchase if anybody needs any I will probably be sending it to recycle.
    Rob

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Rusty,
      I'm going to photograph a hung door here and see what I can piece together. But, I might have a look at the stock doors and just get one. Too bad too because the door is in good shape. The building won't be insulated, but I don't want snow coming around the door. LOL.

Comment

We build custom prehung interior and exterior doors. We use a 3 degree bevel lock side and allow for 3mm gap all around the door. Both for 1 3/4 and 2 1/4” doors. 2 degree might work on 1 3/8” door thickness. Been years since we built that thin.
        Most builders here prefer 1/4” to 3/8” shim space each side of the door frame. Some custom builders also bevel the hinge side to prevent binding. We used to but our hinge jigs do not allow for that.

If you order factory prehung doors they are usually 1/4” less in width than the called out size. For example a 36” wide door will be 35 3/4” to allow for the 1/8” gap each side. Jamb thickness is usually 3/4” interior doors and exterior doors 1 1/4” With 3/4” at the rebate. I prefer thicker jambs for exterior but sometimes the RO does not allow.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
          We build custom prehung interior and exterior doors. We use a 3 degree bevel lock side and allow for 3mm gap all around the door. Both for 1 3/4 and 2 1/4” doors. 2 degree might work on 1 3/8” door thickness. Been years since we built that thin.
          Most builders here prefer 1/4” to 3/8” shim space each side of the door frame. Some custom builders also bevel the hinge side to prevent binding. We used to but our hinge jigs do not allow for that.

If you order factory prehung doors they are usually 1/4” less in width than the called out size. For example a 36” wide door will be 35 3/4” to allow for the 1/8” gap each side. Jamb thickness is usually 3/4” interior doors and exterior doors 1 1/4” With 3/4” at the rebate. I prefer thicker jambs for exterior but sometimes the RO does not allow.
          Excellent ... all the details. Thank you Joe. With all the other stuff going on here I haven't yet built the frame, so now I'll build it to a standard 32" width and then if my door ever has to be replaced they can install a shortened standard solid core door without "too" much trouble.

cheers

Comment

Rusty, I went with the new pre-hung door. It can be done the other way, but won't save you anything by the time you spend time making it all work on paying time.

cheers

Comment

Working...
            X