Lighting in bitter cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lighting in bitter cold.

As I have installed LEDs in all but two storage places in my house some years ago, I have had a few quit on me early on, and it was the electronic parts that burned out, none of these where enclosed, one surprized me as I was having breakfast with the LED in the fixture above my head al of a sudden starting to smoke, I quickly switched the light off, and as I removed the lamp I felt it was pretty hot, so far everyone of the LEDs that malfunctioned had the electronics burn out, not the Diodes.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Leo, if your referring to my comments about LED life, I'll just add a little more information. It's still a little bit like the wild west in the LED market with some incredibly badly made LED lamps. Given a decent quality lamp, with good LED chips & good driver components, operation in a warm environment will degrade the LED chips quicker than the driver. LED chips are very sensitive to high temps & need good thermal management. Another thing; in a good LED lamp, the driver generates very little heat. It's the LEDs that create most of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
        Leo, if your referring to my comments about LED life, I'll just add a little more information. It's still a little bit like the wild west in the LED market with some incredibly badly made LED lamps. Given a decent quality lamp, with good LED chips & good driver components, operation in a warm environment will degrade the LED chips quicker than the driver. LED chips are very sensitive to high temps & need good thermal management. Another thing; in a good LED lamp, the driver generates very little heat. It's the LEDs that create most of the heat.
        Frank yes there are good not so good better and best LED lamps, true and yes the heatsinks and the cooling of the LEDs is important especially if the energy is not changed into light but heat instead, however what I was trying to say is that my losses where from the electronic parts (driver as you call it), as the long lasting LEDs never get a change to diminish in those cases, Incandescents and Fluorescence also have reduced outputs over time, but the promise of 30.000 hrs, even if reduced somewhat is still a lot better than having to replace light bulbs every 1000 or 2000 hrs. fluorescence lasting somewhat longer if the ballast does not give out early.

In my case the newest lamps are all without any problems so far, they are getting better I think/hope.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
        X