new roof, window flashing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new roof, window flashing question

so we recently had new steel roof installed.

installation took 3 days, went ok and we are happy with it.

however we are curious if this is generally accepted as "normal" for the new roof to window flashing?

the windows had flashing that covered the old shingles, however with the new roof the steel is raised 3/4" (strapping) and although the flats are butted up against the window flashing AND caulked (as seen in close up pics)... the raised ribs are left with the gap.

the installer says any flashing would look "ugly" either matching white from window overlapping onto dark grey roof, or vice versa.
    so he feels the rib gap is acceptable, he will caulk it, and any wet that makes its way under will be minimal and simply dry up before any harm is done.

this is over the porch, not the actual living space of the home, and it will only be an issue with a hard driven rain.

I have a small amount of $$ I've held back until they come and install 2 lengtha of snow stop, and I'd like clarification in regards to this flashing before I finish paying.

thoughts?

edit

this is one of 6 windows like this example.
    1 north facing
    3 east facing
    2 south facing

IMG_20190922_145612-2064x1548.jpg
    IMG_20190922_145508-2064x1548.jpg
    IMG_20190922_145517-1548x2064.jpg
    Last edited by beakie; 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM.
    [insert something witty here]
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: new roof, window flashing question

A quick google search shows flashing options available for this application. I would ask your installer for the name of their steel supplier and go over the options. Caulking is a great product but it will not many the life of a steel roof and Too me would be the weak point. Too me this is an extra over your orginal quote and work with your installer to have this done.Image result for steel roof flashing
    Last edited by master finishing; 09-22-2019, 03:40 PM.
    schor likes this.
    Mark
    www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

I have never installed to anything other than a peak of a roof. I am pretty sure there will be an L shaped flashing that will go up the face of the window sill and come down on top of the roof steel. In your case it should be white.

Comment

My mentor used to say;"If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all."

Hmm,,,,Mother got changed to mentor.
        Last edited by Rusty; 09-22-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

That’s not the way to flash that

There should be an L shaped flashing that returns under the window flashing and siding.
          Installation will involve cutting the window flashing and siding.
          Possibly redoing the window flashing.

Nathan
          RV Sam, Yeti and 3 others like this.

Comment

ok, these comments support what our assumptions were.

we received 3 quotes, this was lowest but;
            one was $9k more for the decorative steel shingles (nice but we wanted plain jane, simple but effective)
            one was $3k more than this one, but they said they buy flat steel and use a computer to form exactky what we want & very little wastage, that's why it cost more (that was after $1k discount for friends & family and 3% cash back for prompt payment, opposed to payment plan)

this contractor said the job should take 4-5 days, and if we pay Havelock Metal directly we could skip paying him a deposit, delivery, etc.

So, looking on Havelocks website, https://www.havelockmetal.com/products/
            I see many "flashing" options.

I think I will contact them, see what they advise and then ask him why he doesn't want to do that.

I understand it may cost more then original quote, which may be why other was $3k more (they did say they would be flashing it). But when I originally asked this guy what his plan was for the windows he said "oh we do this all the time, we'll take care of it"
            Not that that means it's included in price, just that I expected him to have a plan, and I would be fine paying for it.

I'll be placing a call/email to Havelock Metal, see what they think.

Thanks all.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

HMP does know what's required and how to do it right. Make a visit to Havelock and you will be impressed with their knowledge.
              Where roof meets wall (horizontal to vertical) there's a trim- piece available for that change in direction. That piece slides up between the siding (or flashing) and structure making the change in direction seamless. In the case of vinyl siding such as the attached example, the siding is trimmed with J-trim matching the style and colour of the siding. The J-trim runs-off rain-water running down siding and gives the siding a finished appearance. Any excess flow of rainwater rainwater cascades over the J-trim onto the roof-trim and down the roof to eaves trough.

I would also recommend that you (or your contractor) check that all the screws are tight and just compressing the washers to ensure the roof is water-tight. Often when the screws are installed using pre-set torque on a driver if it hits a knot it doesn't pull the roof down tight against the strapping and you will get a leak at the screw-hole. .
              We installed the roof as pictured in 2016. I rate it as "complex" because of all the changes in roof-line and extensive siding trim. HMP provided the material, Moffatt Bros (Port Hope) installed and my neighbour ( a former roofer) did any custom bending required. A fully satisfactory job for a critical owner!

2019-09-24 09.44.05.jpg2019-09-24 09.45.05.jpg2019-09-24 09.48.52.jpg2019-09-24 09.46.23.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Thom View Post
                HMP does know what's required and how to do it right. Make a visit to Havelock and you will be impressed with their knowledge.
                Where roof meets wall (horizontal to vertical) there's a trim- piece available for that change in direction. That piece slides up between the siding (or flashing) and structure making the change in direction seamless. In the case of vinyl siding such as the attached example, the siding is trimmed with J-trim matching the style and colour of the siding. The J-trim runs-off rain-water running down siding and gives the siding a finished appearance. Any excess flow of rainwater rainwater cascades over the J-trim onto the roof-trim and down the roof to eaves trough.

I would also recommend that you (or your contractor) check that all the screws are tight and just compressing the washers to ensure the roof is water-tight. Often when the screws are installed using pre-set torque on a driver if it hits a knot it doesn't pull the roof down tight against the strapping and you will get a leak at the screw-hole. .
                We installed the roof as pictured in 2016. I rate it as "complex" because of all the changes in roof-line and extensive siding trim. HMP provided the material, Moffatt Bros (Port Hope) installed and my neighbour ( a former roofer) did any custom bending required. A fully satisfactory job for a critical owner!
                Hi Rick, we received a quote from Moffat, and liked there profesionallism... but couldn't understand the $3k+ for what appeared to be a simple job (2 hips on porch, 1 peak)

Turns out the extra $3k would have included a more knowledgable/professional "finish"

While the previous roof over the porch had not caused concern in the last 5 1/2years (the roof was 23yrs old). I don't ever want to worry about the work done, so had expected a better end result.

Live & learn.

Comment

Tom If it's any consolation, the majority of the work required to flash your roof and window properly will involve the siding and an application of a proper flashing under the siding and you may want to get a good installer to clad your window sill and tie it all in properly. You should not have to remove any roofing from what I can see from the pics. the edge at the eavestrough needs some attention to detail. Some of it appears to be down too tight I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X