Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wainscoting on stairs

Hi All,

i have a 2 storey front entry with stairs to the second floor. Planning on adding shaker style wainscoting, but wondering about sizes. Was thinking 36” high, 1x6 for the stiles and 1x4 for the rails. Rabbet and inset 1/4” MDF. Painted white to match the balusters.
    Do think these proportions will work?
    Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wainscoting on stairs

It will need to tie in with the Bannister.

Comment

Thanks. 36” is close to banister. I think it looks too small for the 2 storey. If I follow the 2/3 rule and do 64”, it looks a bit too big. Figured the pro’s had tips for stairs!

Comment

Over the many years I have built three staircases not including outside steps for things like decks. I have removed wainscoting in a kitchen reno, but never installed wainscoting. I like symmetry, symmetry turns my crank. For a staircase I would want to match the top edge of the wainscoting with the top edge of the banister. Your selection of 1 X 4 rails and 1 X 6 stiles would match up well with the banister as well. Your posts are probably 4 X 4 and viewed at any angle would match up well with the 1 X 6 stiles. The banister railing would match up well with 1 X 4 rails. If you match the height and angle of the wainscoting top edge well with the banister, IMO you would have a very symmetrical look that would compliment the large open space of your entry.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?source...60.PI4qBKBGckE
          Start slowly, wind down gracefully
          woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Thanks Steve, i had previously studied Google and Pintrest pics. Our stairs have a landing 1/3 of the way up, and do a 45 degree turn as well. Lots of fun!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by chris44 View Post
              Thanks Steve, i had previously studied Google and Pintrest pics. Our stairs have a landing 1/3 of the way up, and do a 45 degree turn as well. Lots of fun!
              You're welcome. Some of the thumbnails in the link seem to show what you describe. Selecting them takes you to a whole universe of possibilities. We'll all welcome pictures when you have a chance. Is your two story entry an atrium grand opening type of thing, or a more conventional stairs along the wall type of situation?
              Start slowly, wind down gracefully
              woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Working...
              X