Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Condensation in garage vapor barrier (south facing wall)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drzaius
    replied
    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

If you heat a room that is cold on the outside you will cause vapor in between. The drywall will slow it down -- but there will be moisture present.
    No, heating a room will not create moisture. If a room is warmer than the outside, and there is a source of moisture in the room, then the humidity in the room will rise and that vapor will condense on cold surfaces, like an uninsulated exterior wall. But if there is no source of water in the room, and you heat the room, that will not cause condensation to form on the outside wall.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by drzaius View Post

Only if it's an unvented propane, NG, or kerosene heater.
    If you heat a room that is cold on the outside you will cause vapor in between. The drywall will slow it down -- but there will be moisture present.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    A heater will only create more condensation.
    Only if it's an unvented propane, NG, or kerosene heater.

Leave a comment:

• Dropsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug G View Post

Wally, how will the heater cause more condensation? Unless I missed it, the op hasn't specified what type of heater, are you assuming a fuel fired heater which produces water vapor as the products of combustion? What about an electric heater?
    It’s a 50k btu propane heater. And the reason being is I need the drywall in place before the heater goes up because it will be much tougher to put up sheets once the gas line is run and the heater is physically in the way.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    A heater will only create more condensation. Once the VB and drywall goes up it won't happen to the most extent. If you took the drywall off of most walls --I'm sure there would be condensation in the wall if it is cold on the outside. That's what VB is for.
    Wally, how will the heater cause more condensation? Unless I missed it, the op hasn't specified what type of heater, are you assuming a fuel fired heater which produces water vapor as the products of combustion? What about an electric heater?

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    A heater will only create more condensation. Once the VB and drywall goes up it won't happen to the most extent. If you took the drywall off of most walls --I'm sure there would be condensation in the wall if it is cold on the outside. That's what VB is for.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Why wait for the heater? Maybe turn it on now and help the drying process?

Leave a comment:

• Dropsix
    replied
    Alright thanks guys!

I am putting up the smart vapor barrier (certainteed membraine) tomorrow and will see how it does. Drywall will go up shortly after and then heater!

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I agree with Leo. And, come winter, when the humidity is lower and the outside temps are colder than inside temps, this shouldn't happen.
    I also agree

It sounds like this is not an ongoing problem

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I agree with Leo. And, come winter, when the humidity is lower and the outside temps are colder than inside temps, this shouldn't happen.
    I also agree

It sounds like this is not an ongoing problem

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

It is exactly as I was telling, the inside of the garage being cold (colder) than the wall with the sun warming it up, so the cold vapour barrier would have the moisture from the insulation condense on the vapour barrier.

There does not need to be a lot of water in the insulation to have this happen, just as windows in a house can get condensation on them, or your cool drink bottle or can getting condensation on them.

If your insulation is dry there should not be a problem with this.

Leave a comment:

• Dropsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

It is exactly as I was telling, the inside of the garage being cold (colder) than the wall with the sun warming it up, so the cold vapour barrier would have the moisture from the insulation condense on the vapour barrier.

There does not need to be a lot of water in the insulation to have this happen, just as windows in a house can get condensation on them, or your cool drink bottle or can getting condensation on them.

Alright fair. To be honest, while they seem dry the batts where kept under a roof but outside. Who knows how long they were there for but they were pretty dusty. this was at home hardware

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Originally posted by Dropsix View Post

Insulation was up one day maybe before the VB went on. It hasn’t been cold during the day. Maybe goes down to 1-5 C at night and then highs of 15-20 C last week.

wasn’t using anything to heat the space because the heater isn’t installed yet. That’s why the garage stayed cold all day while the hot afternoon sun was beating on the one wall.

Leave a comment:

• Dropsix
    replied
    Originally posted by drzaius View Post
    How long was the insulation up before the VB went on?
    How cold has it been before the VB went on?
    What were you using to heat the space?
    Insulation was up one day maybe before the VB went on. It hasn’t been cold during the day. Maybe goes down to 1-5 C at night and then highs of 15-20 C last week.

wasn’t using anything to heat the space because the heater isn’t installed yet. That’s why the garage stayed cold all day while the hot afternoon sun was beating on the one wall.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    How long was the insulation up before the VB went on?
    How cold has it been before the VB went on?
    What were you using to heat the space?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X