How to stop a dripping faucet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop a dripping faucet?

Below is a pic of our upstairs bathroom faucet. I've noticed lately that it has a drip. Not a bad one, it's only about one drip every two minutes, but since we're on both well and septic, it's not something I want to ignore.

Problem is I'm not sure what to do about it.

I've installed and uninstalled many new and old fixtures, so that I could do, but replacing the fixture entirely seems like over-kill. Is that really necessary?

I'm thinking there's probably some washer or O ring somewhere in there that I could just replace, but I haven't the first idea how to start such an operation.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Thanks!

IMG_20191120_0911162.jpg
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How to stop a dripping faucet?

Not a pro but, aside from buying a new house, here's what I'd do ...

1) turn off the hot and cold valves under the sink separately and wait to see which one leaks, then turn off both
    2) remove the cap from the top of the leaking handle
    3) remove the trim bezels which allows access to the valve body
    4) unscrew the valve body
    5) Tell Mrs Callee that the parts have to come from hardware store right beside the arena where your favourite hockey team is playing, then rent a hotel room for that night.
    6) take the valve body to the hardware store. If the taps are Moen they'll give you a valve body for free.
    7) go home and install the new valve.
    8) take on extra work to pay for the hotel, hockey tickets, meals, movie ... etc

Comment

Some have rubber seats that are replaceable. These may also require a reamer to flatten/smooth out seats. Others have a replaceable valve cartridge. In both cases the valve unit screws out once the handle is removed.
      lots of pictures and. Procedures on the internet. I’ve done both types so it is not a complicated procedure.
      beachburl likes this.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

All the above is true, turn off the water take the tap apart that's part is easy, its when you go buy the new parts it gets difficult take as much of the tap as you can with you so you have the best chance of getting the correct parts then reassemble its easy once you have done a few but then they are all different, good luck.

Comment

One very important item that everyone has missed so far and that is to put something in or on the drain so you don't loose anything down it!!!
          If you want me to make it i need this new tool first

Comment

If parts are not readily available at the hardware stores try the retails that supply tradesmen. ( Auckland’s etc. )
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Ryan, you may as well change both. The other will be leaking in less than a year.
              John
              stilson likes this.
              If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Glacier Bay, I think. Parts available at the Home Depot.

Comment

As far as I know glacier bay has no warranty. Don't be surprised if they don't have parts. Moen will and Delta for sure. I will be surprised if glacier does. Maybe you can fine a grommet or gasket or O ring off the shelf for it though. I would try and change the whole cartridge if you can. They get fouled up with corrosion and lime in time and need replacing any way
                  https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Just an update,

I turned off the supplies one at a time to discover which side was leaking, and the answer was: they both were!

At that point I did not bother taking either of the taps a part.

I reasoned that I would be taking a bunch of time to disassemble and figure out both sides, then buying either parts or cartridges for both, then re-assembling. Bottom line, probably around $20 and a couple hours of time.

The other option, BORG had a similar fixture on sale for $20. Same cost, only 20 minutes of my time.

I went with option 2, reasoning I could spend the time I saved in the shop.

It ended up taking longer than 20 minutes, because I decided , last minute, to have eldest son, now 10, come work with me and learn how to change a fixture. He did most the work, and seemed pretty pleased with his accomplishment. Plus, it was good to spend time with the kid, though I'll admit the conversation did take an unanticipated turn when, while cleaning out behind the vanity, he discovered a stray tampon and asked "what's this for dad?"

Comment

Working...
                    X