Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• callee
    replied
    Context is everything though. Eh? We hope to gut and remodel both of these washrooms in the next 5-10 years, so I'm not interested in investing in them now.

Leave a comment:

• Lost in the Woods
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

the secret is to buy a 120$ faucet for 20$, win win when you are not beholden to a ''designer''.
    Rob
    I'm not suggesting anything high end, just an intermediate one. Nothing fancy, just not the model at the BB hardware store that is competing with the trash at Walmart.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    A $20 faucet? My experience has been that the cheap ones you'll be replacing in a year or two. Hope you get more mileage than my experience with trying to go with a cheap faucet.
    the secret is to buy a 120$ faucet for 20$, win win when you are not beholden to a ''designer''.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• Lost in the Woods
    replied
    A $20 faucet? My experience has been that the cheap ones you'll be replacing in a year or two. Hope you get more mileage than my experience with trying to go with a cheap faucet.

Leave a comment:

• Grandpa
    replied
    Somebody asked my son how did he learn plumbing. His answer "holding the flashlight for my dad". Great son.

Leave a comment:

• EFZauner
    replied
    Originally posted by callee View Post
    Just an update,

I turned off the supplies one at a time to discover which side was leaking, and the answer was: they both were!

At that point I did not bother taking either of the taps a part.

I reasoned that I would be taking a bunch of time to disassemble and figure out both sides, then buying either parts or cartridges for both, then re-assembling. Bottom line, probably around $20 and a couple hours of time.

The other option, BORG had a similar fixture on sale for $20. Same cost, only 20 minutes of my time.

I went with option 2, reasoning I could spend the time I saved in the shop.

It ended up taking longer than 20 minutes, because I decided , last minute, to have eldest son, now 10, come work with me and learn how to change a fixture. He did most the work, and seemed pretty pleased with his accomplishment. Plus, it was good to spend time with the kid, though I'll admit the conversation did take an unanticipated turn when, while cleaning out behind the vanity, he discovered a stray tampon and asked "what's this for dad?"
    Nice... I just changed one out like this too because it was leaking. I could not figure out how to remove the cap to get to a screw or anything to change cartridge. Ended up putting in a new faucet.. never an easy job as the previous plumber had done a botch job of the drain.. had to remove the sink.. recaulk. repaint.. ugh.. being a handy man...

Leave a comment:

• EFZauner
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
    As far as I know glacier bay has no warranty. Don't be surprised if they don't have parts. Moen will and Delta for sure. I will be surprised if glacier does. Maybe you can fine a grommet or gasket or O ring off the shelf for it though. I would try and change the whole cartridge if you can. They get fouled up with corrosion and lime in time and need replacing any way
    Actually Glacier Bay also has a lifetime warranty. I just got a free cartridge from them. call 800-487-8372 to reach its head office in Montreal.
    Or 1-855-HD-GLACIER (from HD web site under each GB product page!)

Note that Home Depot often has parts for them as well as delta, moen etc for free warranty repairs.

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    Quality time, hey.

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Just an update,

I turned off the supplies one at a time to discover which side was leaking, and the answer was: they both were!

At that point I did not bother taking either of the taps a part.

I reasoned that I would be taking a bunch of time to disassemble and figure out both sides, then buying either parts or cartridges for both, then re-assembling. Bottom line, probably around $20 and a couple hours of time.

The other option, BORG had a similar fixture on sale for $20. Same cost, only 20 minutes of my time.

I went with option 2, reasoning I could spend the time I saved in the shop.

It ended up taking longer than 20 minutes, because I decided , last minute, to have eldest son, now 10, come work with me and learn how to change a fixture. He did most the work, and seemed pretty pleased with his accomplishment. Plus, it was good to spend time with the kid, though I'll admit the conversation did take an unanticipated turn when, while cleaning out behind the vanity, he discovered a stray tampon and asked "what's this for dad?"

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied
    As far as I know glacier bay has no warranty. Don't be surprised if they don't have parts. Moen will and Delta for sure. I will be surprised if glacier does. Maybe you can fine a grommet or gasket or O ring off the shelf for it though. I would try and change the whole cartridge if you can. They get fouled up with corrosion and lime in time and need replacing any way

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    Glacier Bay, I think. Parts available at the Home Depot.

Leave a comment:

• John@Hamilton
    replied
    Ryan, you may as well change both. The other will be leaking in less than a year.
    John

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    If parts are not readily available at the hardware stores try the retails that supply tradesmen. ( Auckland’s etc. )

Leave a comment:

• Todd
    replied
    One very important item that everyone has missed so far and that is to put something in or on the drain so you don't loose anything down it!!!

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    All the above is true, turn off the water take the tap apart that's part is easy, its when you go buy the new parts it gets difficult take as much of the tap as you can with you so you have the best chance of getting the correct parts then reassemble its easy once you have done a few but then they are all different, good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X