Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost of Roof Trusses?

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Yayyyy !! I was right !! ("We Are The Champions" playing in the background )
    Didn't know it was a competition John. I think everyone who first saw this post first assumed the quote was for the full order not one truss myself included, But the OP insisted a second time in capital letters that the quote was for 1 truss, you can only work with the information you got. I would still build a 12' truss myself, $50 in materials will build a far stronger truss than he will get from the supplier who builds to minimum requirements.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post

Didn't know it was a competition John. I think everyone who first saw this post first assumed the quote was for the full order not one truss myself included, But the OP insisted a second time in capital letters that the quote was for 1 truss, you can only work with the information you got. I would still build a 12' truss myself, $50 in materials will build a far stronger truss than he will get from the supplier who builds to minimum requirements.
      Oh smile Carlos ... your face won't break
      RV Sam likes this.

Comment

Carlos, I can't imagine that it would take less than an hour per truss to build so $30 for your time, probably less. You obviously have experience building trusses I do not so I would have to do the research and then would have to transport them to the site. The quote details state that they are built to applicable standards (3 shown on the designs).

If I were building for myself I would do it but the client is very happy with the quote and comforted by the fact that they will be built by a "professional" firm. Seems like a no brainer in these circumstances, no risk to me.

You are correct it was not a competition rather a request for information and a number of helpful folks providing useful information quickly. I am grateful to everyone who chimed in.

All good.

Comment

Having the trusses built is more than just a convenience and labor saving thing. It also means that they are properly engineered and that makes the building inspector and the customer happy. I certainly wouldn't build them for that price.

Comment

Since you are building this for a client I presume you will be getting a building permit and they will be wanting an engineers stamp or sign off on the trusses. This would likely cost in excess of $500.00 This also puts the builder at less risk. Just my 2 cents
            Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I got news for you there is no real engineering that goes into a 12' truss. 2 X 4's are more than is required in such a truss and most builders will probably go with 2 X 3's. This is a different design and it is important that proper scissor design is used, the scissor arm should go from the top of one wall to the opposite side rafter for max deflection strength. In a 12' truss this is easy. The supplier probably will not include the center cross piece, I would, greatly increases the strength. With your equipment set up for repeat cuts you can cut all the members in a morning. Your a contractor, I assume you have a truck, transport all the members to the site and assemble the trusses on the floor of the addition, a good afternoons work. Averaging 2 or 3 per hour is reasonable. $60 to $90 profit per hr. on the suppliers price is a good wage plus coverage of overhead and equipment usage.

You can go with 2 X 4's for the rafter but nothing wrong with overbuilding, for a few dollars more I would go with a 2 X 6 and the next time you get hit with a Newfoundland like snow load, you will be laughing at it. You will not get that with a suppliers truss. Of course if your building skills are limited the inspector will pick up on it but unless he is in the pocket of the local truss supplier he will not give you trouble on a well built 12' truss, a 30'er is a different story.

Scissor Truss.jpg

​​​​​​​

Comment

I got news for you there is no real engineering that goes into a 12' truss. 2 X 4's are more than is required in such a truss and most builders will probably go with 2 X 3's. This is a different design and it is important that proper scissor design is used, the scissor arm should go from the top of one wall to the opposite side rafter for max deflection strength. In a 12' truss this is easy. The supplier probably will not include the center cross piece, I would, greatly increases the strength. With your equipment set up for repeat cuts you can cut all the members in a morning. Your a contractor, I assume you have a truck, transport all the members to the site and assemble the trusses on the floor of the addition, a good afternoons work. Averaging 2 or 3 per hour is reasonable. $60 to $90 profit per hr. on the suppliers price is a good wage plus coverage of overhead and equipment usage.

You can go with 2 X 4's for the rafter but nothing wrong with overbuilding, for a few dollars more I would go with a 2 X 6 and the next time you get hit with a Newfoundland like snow load, you will be laughing at it. You will not get that with a suppliers truss. Of course if your building skills are limited the inspector will pick up on it but unless he is in the pocket of the local truss supplier he will not give you trouble on a well built 12' truss, a 30'er is a different story.;
                It doesn't matter if it's super simple to build and it's made of solid titanium and it's strong enough to hold up an ocean liner, if it doesn't have an engineer's stamp, then the building inspector will just walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

It doesn't matter if it's super simple to build and it's made of solid titanium and it's strong enough to hold up an ocean liner, if it doesn't have an engineer's stamp, then the building inspector will just walk away.
                  I am sure thats been your experiance in Calgary and probably most large cities around the country, to many con jobs among contractors, I have built two homes and a few contract jobs for friends over the years. I have never purchased a truss under 16' and never had a problem. Over 16' as mentioned is a different story, butt joints and triangulation brings in engineering math that I would rather have a certified designer take responsibility for. Right or wrong tmo and I have never had to redo my work.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

In most areas with a decently high population this will be true, and definitely in areas where the municipalities are requiring building permit applications to be accompanied by drawings stamped by a pre-approved engineer,

but ......

I think Carlos lives up here in the sticks near the rest of us snowbound masochists , and up here those southern rules tend to be a bit more lenient. There are plenty of places up here where home built trusses and rough cut lumber are just fine as long as it's a not a residential building, and in some places .... even if it is residential .... yes Virginia, those places still exist.

Comment

I am sure thats been your experiance in Calgary and probably most large cities around the country
                      Not just the large cities anymore, but small towns as well. Lots of the small towns are even more strict with things that the Calgary inspectors are. It's almost as if they have to prove that their better than the big city boys.

Comment

You can go with 2 X 4's for the rafter but nothing wrong with overbuilding, for a few dollars more I would go with a 2 X 6 and the next time you get hit with a Newfoundland like snow load, you will be laughing at it. You will not get that with a suppliers truss. Of course if your building skills are limited the inspector will pick up on it but unless he is in the pocket of the local truss supplier he will not give you trouble on a well built 12' truss, a 30'er is a different story.
                        Carlos,

The design calls for 2" by 6" top rails, 2" by 4" everywhere else. Not an expert but based on other scissor designs that I have seen this seems "overbuilt" to me.

BROWN Q1 ENG-page-001.jpg
                        Last edited by TedBrown; 02-15-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TedBrown View Post

The design calls for 2" by 6" top rails, 2" by 4" everywhere else. Not an expert but based on other scissor designs that I have seen this seems "overbuilt" to me.
                          Ted,

I may be reading this wrong ...

Am I seeing the spec's wrong where they list what I think are the top rails (used to be called a rafter before trusses were common ? ) are written as 2" x 4" on the sheet?

Inkedtruss_LI.jpg
                          Last edited by John Bartley; 02-15-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TedBrown View Post

Carlos,

Thats easy, Don,t give the customer anything more than he is paying for. Don't overbuild it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Ted,

I may be reading this wrong ...

Am I seeing the spec's wrong where they list what I think are the top rails (used to be called a rafter before trusses were common ? ) are written as 2" x 4" on the sheet?

Inkedtruss_LI.jpg
                              John, I will follow up with the supplier. THANKS!

I looked at the drawings and saw what appears to be larger boards on the top and also (I now see) the lower braces. I glanced at the legend and saw 2" by 6" and assumed (always a mistake!!).

Glad I posted the drawing, means folks far more knowledgeable than I can double check.

Comment

Thats easy, Don,t give the customer anything more than he is paying for. Don't overbuild it.
                                Carlos, not so easy.

My background is IT, later in my career I specialized in large ($100Million and up) projects as a lead or 2nd level manager. While I have failures under my belt I also have several successful projects delivered, implemented and still operational.

My philosophy was and is "Exceed Expectations". I am 72, retired and do build projects as a way to keep busy (If one stops one dies) and bring in some extra $. I have my health and energy sufficient to operate as a one man lead with subs as needed for some aspects. I have work at least a year in advance and set expectations before I start so that the extra durations implied are not an issue. Most clients are repeats and a number have become friends.

Most times overbuilds cost small fractions more of the cost for minimums. I explain choices to my clients and let them make the decision. Simple and the client ALWAYS feels good, gets better quality for a few more dollars more AND pays for it.

I also chose clients carefully, folks who want cheap will always complain and I do not need the stress.
                                Last edited by TedBrown; 02-15-2020, 08:36 PM.
                                Bob just past Ayr likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X