Silencing Stairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencing Stairs?

In our 100 yr old house, our stairs are very noisy make that VERY VERY NOISY! I recently had to remove the underside to install some LV lighting and it is the perfect time to fix them.
    IMG_0220.JPG
    There is a gap
    IMG_0221.JPG under the stair above the raiser, my plan was to pry this open as much as possible and squeeze in some PL adhesive will this work or do I need to do more or something else?
    Attached Files
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Silencing Stairs?

Jerome, I does look like you have any wedges cut into your stringers to hold everything tight? I would drive hardwood wedges in underside to tighten things with a little PL. The wood still has to be allowed to move.
    Good luck.
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I can't see if you have housed stingers or not. If they are housed stringers, they should already have wedges in them, tighten them up or install new ones if they have been tightened to there limits. Do not use glue, nails or screws in the housed stringers, wood movement across the grain could crack the treads and risers. Like this.

Stairs.jpg

Your squeaking looks to be coming from the gap that has developed where the treads and risers meet. Don't pry them open to add glue. Before you tighten the housing wedges apply a triangular or even a square (if you want to go heavier) strip of wood the full length of the treads, drill the angle block for screws before applying. Screw the block into the riser and then draw the tread down tight by screwing in the underside of the tread. No worries about wood movement here the riser and tread will move together along the grain and there is very little movement in this direction. Once this is done you can tighten up on the housing wedges as described earlier. Like this.

Stairs 2.jpg
      Also note you may be getting some squeaking at the back of the tread where it meets the riser. If nails where used, add screws, but be sure to pre-drill so you don't split the wood. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 03-08-2020, 10:51 AM. Reason: Correct spelling keeps changing on me.

Comment

Consider making some full stair width L shaped pieces of wood. (From 1”x3” wood) Slather them with you PL glue and screw them onto both the external and internal ninety degree angle of the stairs. Try and keep the longest side of the L vertical.
        Last edited by Egon; 03-08-2020, 10:42 AM.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I had a friend who had very squeaky stairs. I went underneath while I had him go up and down the stairs to try and see where it was coming from. It was the ends of the steps moving against the side boards, because there was springiness in the stringers. I ended up making several supports going from the stringers to the floor, with a 1" notch on the bottom of the stringer so that the bearing surface between the stringer and the support would be horizontal. Worked great.
          Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

My friend in the house has similar problems. He'll need that information, thank you!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X