Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

floating floor from one room to another.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floating floor from one room to another.

Hey everyone,

See pictures attached.

My house has floating floor (laminate floor) throughout most of the main floor (living room, dining room, hallways). The bedrooms however were left parquet floor and now I wish to cover them. I haven't been able to find the same floating floor that was originally installed. I am looking for advice on what to lay down in the bedrooms. Im afraid that if I find a similar (but not the exact same) floor that it will look weird, and Im also not sure that a different color wood all together would like right.
    Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

-Jonathan

90166816_190879679024375_3390949716110868480_n.jpg90142834_140259327369516_7203890298450083840_n.jpg
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: floating floor from one room to another.

A new laminate floor that will really raise the bedroom floor. Parquet floor is glued down, had that in my 1 st house built in 1974. How about refinish with stain and new clear WB finish.
    sigpic
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

When my dad built our house in 1956 (last finishes done in 1967) we loose layed 9 inch oak interlocking flooring tiles, which we were to take up later and glue down.
      When I got married in 1973, those tiles were still unglued, but looked fine.
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

One thing you may want to do is pop off the shoe mould by the one doorway and see if you can push the one piece of laminate back to fill that gap before it gets too full of dirt.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

For a new floor I would go with the vinyl plank floor. It comes as a click type flooring that floats or some is glued down. It is a lot thinner than what we see in the laminate flooring that has been on the market for some time. The vinyl plank is approx 1/8 inch thick and comes in a wide variety of finishes. I would not be too concerned about the difference in the two floors matching . It would certainly help if the floors met under the door when it was closed. The last two kitchens I installed were in home that had recently installed the vinyl plank flooring. One was a new build and the other was a major reno.
          Brian
          Wally in Calgary likes this.
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

So it might be hard to tell in the picture, but the walnut looking vinyl floor is actually higher than the parquet. So when I put a new floating floor in the bedrooms the heights should match up.
            My concern isn't so much what to lay down, but what style or color. Im afraid that if I went with something like a grey oak vinyl, it would look a bit weird.

-Jonathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Jonathanb View Post
              So it might be hard to tell in the picture, but the walnut looking vinyl floor is actually higher than the parquet. So when I put a new floating floor in the bedrooms the heights should match up.
              My concern isn't so much what to lay down, but what style or color. Im afraid that if I went with something like a grey oak vinyl, it would look a bit weird.

-Jonathan
              There are lots of new patterns in LVP. There are some that look like a large tile and many more. Have a look at some of them.

Comment

Working...
              X