Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    It is something that I caution people about all the time. They are very aware of it in the US. BROAN manufacture a $200 makeup air unit. It automatically activates when a vacuum is created. It is best to locate near the stove as it brings air from outside and of course cold air in winter. I was once told by a local HVAC guy locally that anything over 350 cfm requires a make up unit. I have never seen that enforced in any of my installs. Luckily it is the HVAC guys problem not mine.

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    Where I was working last year there were a lot of homes where the appliances specified 10 inch, 8 inch, or 6 inch + 8 inch diameter kitchen exhaust. Towards the end of the job the HVAC inspector was rejecting them because of inadequate make up air.

Could be a trend forming, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    About half of my installs are in new construction and over the last few years building inspectors are paying a lot of attention to clearances in the area of the stove. Something to be aware of is clearances of cabinets above the stove. The OBC states that you require 750 mm clearance above burner for combustible cabinets. The exception is if the stove manufacture requires otherwise. The job I have on the go now and the client has a 36 inch gas range, 6 burner. The stove manufacture specifies you must have 41 inch clearance between stove and cabinets. I ordered a hood fan that has a remote unit. It is not your typical $150 hood fan.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Lost in the Woods
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    Here in Ontario the building code does not allow flexible pipe for kitchen stove fans. Has to be insulated smooth wall pipe. If not being inspected it is not an issue. I believe the max for a 4 inch pipe is 110 cfm
    Good point/reminder Brian. I wasn't even thinking anybody would use a flex for that.

I wouldn't even use a flex/accordion vent for my clothes drier. Solid wall vents except for gas emanating from your trousers is the way to go!

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    Here in Ontario the building code does not allow flexible pipe for kitchen stove fans. Has to be insulated smooth wall pipe. If not being inspected it is not an issue. I believe the max for a 4 inch pipe is 110 cfm
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 05-12-2020, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lost in the Woods
    replied
    Range hood fans are only used sporadically and insulation issues are not the major concern.

Kitchen exhaust fans for one's cook-top have more a concern of grease build up than condensation issues. Yes, we have screens on our over-the-top range hood covers, but they often get removed and forgotten about and considerations for certain standards in such situations are what end up being the most considered factor.

Having 45s and such is, especially mulitple ones are another issue that are likely nonos that should be avoided. Having soffit out vents is a nono in my mind. Having any intricate rooftop cap can be, but not a deal breaker necessarily.

Why not ask an HVAC/Ducting Pipe local supplier this? Or even pickin the brains of a local kitchen install company itself. You'd be surprised on how you can get this info off them if talking to the right person in places like this using the right approach.

Leave a comment:

• EFZauner
    replied
    how long is this 4 inch vent pipe with the 2 45 degree bends? If there is too much resistance you may not get much exhaust at all. keep in mind the rating is like with no pipe. a 300 cfpm needs more than a 4 inch pipe. minimum 6 inch https://inspectapedia.com/ventilatio...ct_Lengths.php

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
    Aw, shucks. I guess I shouldn't post our Econo method .

https://www.uline.com/BL_3654/White-...+mailing+tubes
    4" is not large enough for the exhaust fans of the present.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Aw, shucks. I guess I shouldn't post our Econo method .

https://www.uline.com/BL_3654/White-...+mailing+tubes

Leave a comment:

• smallerstick
    replied
    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Peter -- THIS is what I usually use.
    Thanks, Wally, looks like it will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by smallerstick View Post

LOL You bet I would but life in northern Ontario is still pretty good. Insulation for the ducting here is a given.
    Peter -- THIS is what I usually use.

Leave a comment:

• smallerstick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post

Steve:

I have a feeling that Peter (the OP) would like to enjoy the BC winters that Jim experiences .

Regards,

J.
    LOL You bet I would but life in northern Ontario is still pretty good. Insulation for the ducting here is a given.

Leave a comment:

• Jacques Gagnon
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
    Before you finalize your purchase check your new fan - I assume this is a range hood fan - but regardless, many of them have built in dampers. You don't want two dampers in the line. You do definitely want the grill screening. Given your temperatures in B.C. I wouldn't think the temp differential in the attic, or wall, or wherever, would be enough to cause any noticeable condensation, particularly given the sporadic use of a kitchen exhaust fan.

With a damper at the fan rather then the outside end, you would avoid wind-blown flapping noise.
    Steve:

I have a feeling that Peter (the OP) would like to enjoy the BC winters that Jim experiences .

Regards,

J.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Before you finalize your purchase check your new fan - I assume this is a range hood fan - but regardless, many of them have built in dampers. You don't want two dampers in the line. You do definitely want the grill screening. Given your temperatures in B.C. I wouldn't think the temp differential in the attic, or wall, or wherever, would be enough to cause any noticeable condensation, particularly given the sporadic use of a kitchen exhaust fan.

With a damper at the fan rather then the outside end, you would avoid wind-blown flapping noise.

Leave a comment:

• smallerstick
    replied
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I should be able to find something from those recommendations to adapt to the existing roof opening to accommodate the exhaust fan.

Thanks for the links, Wally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X