Recurring Crack in Drywall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurring Crack in Drywall

How does one repair a recurring crack in drywall? Seems like after an extremely dry winter, cracks that I have patched reappear.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Recurring Crack in Drywall

Put drywall tape this time when repairing it.
    beachburl likes this.
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

Where is the crack? If it's at a corner maybe try filling it with paintable latex caulking.

Comment

Some cracks will never go away if they are caused by the house shifting. But from the sounds of it, you just have cracks opening up after a while.

You need to put drywall tape over the crack, I prefer the paper opposed to the mesh. I find after a year or so, you can see the mesh. One trick I've come up with, is to cut the paper on either side of the crack to the width of your tape and peel it away. Then when you apply the drywall tape, it sits flush with the surface of the drywall. Makes it much easier to feather out. I also always prime the tape before mudding over, simply because if you sand the paper it goes fussy and is difficult to deal with.

Might not be the best method, but it has worked well for my skill level. It's been 2 years on some ugly patches and I can barely see them when the light hits it the right way. Good luck!

Comment

Run a humidifier. You shouldn't have too low humidity it isn't good for breathing.

Fixing might be foundation movement causing the crack? Maybe you need more wood studs added if there wasn't built to codes? You could do a cutout of drywall in area right over to studs in each direction and screw in a new piece and mud it in. A square or rectangle makes it easier shape to cut out. Also you can score the board off so you have some extra front paper going out beyond the repair patch and you can mud that like it's drywall tape, saves the step of taping.

Comment

I have this problem and I think while the house is built to code something is moving. It is one of the earlier houses in this area that has cathedral ceilings and I'm told when it was built there was difficulty even finding somebody to do the drywall installation.

My personal opinion is that putting pieces rather than cutting out a sheet around some window/door openings puts a joint in a "more likely to fail" area.

I have had some improvement using the wide mesh which is probably about 2-3 times wider than regular tape/mesh but not total improvement.

billh

Comment

It really depends where the crack is located. Cracks associated with roof truss movement are notoriously difficult to control.
              Bill R. and billsm like this.

Comment

If the crack is at the corner of a window or door frame it may be necessary to remove a section of drywall and install a new piece so that it spans at least to the next stud

Comment

I have 2 of these cracks and each is under a window in our loft area and about 10’ apart. I just finished my second fix on them today and can sand and paint tomorrow. I used paper tape this time and hope it is the last time but time will tell. House is only 5 yrs old. These are the only cracks we have had. Makes no sense to me. Definitely put the tape on as without it they will reappear based on my experience.
                  Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

In your case, Jamie, someone probably took a shortcut and there's a joint along the window edge, perhaps top and bottom. Those things almost always crack, and is why I was taught that drywall never joints at windows or doors: drywall over the opening, then cut the opening out.

https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/int...ws-and-doors_o
                    billh likes this.
                    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

We still don't know where the crack is.
                      scooby074 likes this.

Comment

The crack is between the windows in a bay. The walls form a 22-1/2 degree angle and because of how it is framed, there is very little insulation. So when winter rolls along, I'm guessing, the low humidity is causing some issues. Drywall tape is behind. I also have vaulted ceiling in the living room, and the top 2 feet at the apex also cracks every year. This would be a truss movement issue. I was hoping there may be some type of elasticky drywall compound.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC View Post
                            I was hoping there may be some type of elasticky drywall compound.
                            Like I suggested earlier maybe try paintable latex caulking. It's used all the time by painters to fill the gap in ill fitting trim and it's flexible.

Comment

I was planning on trying the caulking next time I paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X