Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Basement Bathroom Install (venting and draining)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Basement Bathroom Install (venting and draining)

IMG-20200426-WA0017.jpg

Hey all, I'm going to be using all this free time to start roughing in a basement bathroom. However, I want to start with understanding how the venting and drainage will work (as I may have to go around some stairs or through some finished walls) and I am most comfortable with figuring the carpentry following plumbing (less comfortable).

Can't reveiw with city inspectors as they won't currently talk in person, and I'd prefer not to have a plumber over yet (I will call one in before I commit to anything after quarantine, but having this info will let me start roughing in the walls and determining fixture placement.

Ive attached 2 very rough diagrams (not to scale). Each of the plumbing sections in the diagram are on perpendicular walls. The first diagram places them on a single plane for clarity, and the second is a top view showing how they exist relative to one another.

I will be using a Saniflo system, and am in Toronto Canada.

Questions:

1. How would you suggest venting and draining the Saniflo system?

1a. I am assuming the drain would be tied into the same drain as the powder room toilet above (3" ABS) below where the powder room sink/vent ties in (2" ABS)?

1b. If I were to tie into the same vent as the powder room sink & toilet, would it need to tie in above where the sink drain attaches? This would likey require removing the vanity for access.

1c. The laundry room vent is more accesible, but is also over 32' away, and would require several elbows to get around the stairs (don't know if this is allowed or not and if there's any required "sloping" which would make it come too low)

2. Out of interest, does the current layout of the kitchen/Laundry room drains/vents make sense? I am unable to see the sections hidden behind the cabinets so had to guess for the diagram
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New Basement Bathroom Install (venting and draining)

Not familiar with the Saniflow system, but for normal drain and vent connections your indicated set up makes it easy enough to connect up, with your drains connecting to the 3" drain and your vent to the powder room vent above. Your vent has to connect well above the level of the powder room sink. If you get a plug up in the powder room sink you don't want to effect the lower vent connection. I would go a couple of feet above the powder room sink level. This will require cutting out a panel of drywall and subsequent repair, not that big a job.

I didn't go into the finer details but I'm sure many others will cover that.

Comment

I have 2 saniflow systems in our basement, pumping up to our septic tank pipes. Do follow the saniflow directions for the vent and drain. It is not too difficult. However I wonder why you want to use one, since you have access to drain in the floor. I would try to tie into that before you use a pump system. I originally just had one system with a maceration blade for the toilet, sink, shower as well as laundry. We do lots of laundry with our family of 5 and the blade seems to lose its sharpness and often got blocked with toilet paper. Had to open it up, put my hands thru crap to dismantle and change the blade. Since then I have installed a separate non macerating pump for only the laundry.. Not a problem since. Feel free to contact me. happy to take pictures of my install for you or chat on the phone. You will also need the alarm module. This think still needs annual check/battery replacement. Its circuit board also corrodes easily. So that is why I really suggest that you first try to tie into your main train. Breaking up concrete is not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by EFZauner View Post
        I have 2 saniflow systems in our basement, pumping up to our septic tank pipes. Do follow the saniflow directions for the vent and drain. It is not too difficult. However I wonder why you want to use one, since you have access to drain in the floor. I would try to tie into that before you use a pump system. I originally just had one system with a maceration blade for the toilet, sink, shower as well as laundry. We do lots of laundry with our family of 5 and the blade seems to lose its sharpness and often got blocked with toilet paper. Had to open it up, put my hands thru crap to dismantle and change the blade. Since then I have installed a separate non macerating pump for only the laundry.. Not a problem since. Feel free to contact me. happy to take pictures of my install for you or chat on the phone. You will also need the alarm module. This think still needs annual check/battery replacement. Its circuit board also corrodes easily. So that is why I really suggest that you first try to tie into your main train. Breaking up concrete is not that difficult.
        Sounds like you and I have had the same experience. The compact does have it’s issues, after 7 years the toilet got completely plugged up, a famine hygiene product didn’t help and Calcium buildup. Of course it happened when the toilet was loaded. Wet dry vac helped.
        sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Thanks for the info and for your offer! I'll probably take you up on it.

Would tying intothe existing system not entail busting up a bunch of the concrete to lay several drain pipes? I figured if I use the saniflo system it all goes to one Central system, with one Central drain pipe
          Last edited by greatness; 04-27-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

If you want to avoid breaking up concrete and you have good ceiling height, one of a couple of options is to raise the floor with 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's so you can run your drains to the stack under the floor. That means you will have a step-up into the washroom and if you have low ceilings to begin with, may not be desirable. The second option would be to just raise the toilet and tub or shower area so your could run piping underneath and enclose it along the base of the back wall to the drain stack. Just a few ideas to get away from that pumping system which I have always seen as trouble waiting to happen.

Comment

I had considered raising everything, but where the clean-out is located seems like it would prevent me from tying I'm low enough. Pic attached for reference.

20200428_082040.jpg

either way I do it, is there general agreement that the vent should tie into the powder room sink vent above where it drains?

Comment

The clean out location can be raised easily. Cut it out and put in a Y fitting as close to the floor as possible and stack the clean out above. The clean out, as shown, is kinda hard to access.

As suggested place the commode on a raised floor section and just go with a standard commode.

note: not a plumber nor have I any familiarity with code.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts!

Also, if anyone knows a plumber who will do consultations (i.e. paid to come out and provide suggestions, not doing the work) in Mississauga, please feel free to let me know

Comment

Originally posted by greatness View Post
                    Thanks for the info and for your offer! I'll probably take you up on it.

Would tying into the existing system not entail busting up a bunch of the concrete to lay several drain pipes? I figured if I use the saniflo system it all goes to one Central system, with one Central drain pipe
                    Yes it does. But it is not as hard as it sounds. Your sketch seems to indicate you are only a few feet from it. If you have next to no finished flooring then it is rather easy.. Rent a 120V electric jackhammer and it is done in under 1 hour. It goes thru concret like butter! The concrete is only a few inches thick, and if there is no metal reenforcment screening it is surprisingly easy. I really suggest going this route. Done properly once, you wont ever have to worry about the pump. And maybe cheaper too! If you do not want to do it yourself spend the money on a contractor rather than the saniflow. If you dont want to do the plumbing then at least get a plumber to show you where you have to dig, let him do the plumbing and then fill it back in yourself.

Comment

I opened the clean-out and looked down with a camera snake. I will probably have to use a pump system as the sewer line runs away from the new basement bathroom area under a finished floor. There is not enough headroom to raise the floor.

I have provided 2 potential diagrams that I'm hoping you can comment on viability/mistakes. Grey lines are existing Drain and Vent lines that run to a main floor powder room. New basement bathroom lines are red and blue.

The only difference between the 2 is that the sink goes directly to the soil stack in one (rather than to the Saniflo) simply due to distance. Either is doable, but if the sink goes to the Saniflo it will need to go around 2 bends at approximately 10 feet.

Pipes 1.jpg

Pipes 2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X